Date:	Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:16:32 -0700
From:	Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...hat.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
CC:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] use smp_load_acquire()/smp_store_release()

On 10/29/2014 07:49 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Hi Alexander
>
> The memory barriers added in commit
> b37c0fbe3f6dfba1f8ad2aed47fb40578a254635
> ("net: Add memory barriers to prevent possible race in byte queue
> limits")
>
> have heavy cost.
>
> It seems we could use smp_load_acquire() and smp_store_release()
> instead ?
>
> I'll post a patch later today. I would be interested if someone was able
> to test it, as your commit apparently was tested and known to fix a
> reproducible race.
>
> Thanks !

Unfortunately Stephen left Intel before I did, so we will need to find
someone else in the validation team to test this if possible. I have
added Jeff to the CC so that he can give the appropriate validation
people a heads up that this patch might be coming.

As I recall what was seen was random Tx hangs on systems with the
original BQL code when interfaces were stressed.  It has been a while so
I don't recall the exact set-up for all of it.  Also some less
used/tested architectures such as PowerPC can be more susceptible to
synchronization issues such as these as the memory model is more weakly
ordered.

I'm wondering where you are seeing the barrier show up?  In
netdev_tx_send_queue you should only hit the barrier if you actually are
triggering the XOFF condition, and in netdev_tx_completed_queue the
barrier should be coalesced in amongst a number of frames reducing the cost.

My concern with this would be that we are actually syncronizing multiple
things, the __QUEUE_STATE_STACK_XOFF flag, dql->adj_limit, and
dql->num_queued, and we might be trading off reducing the cost on x86 to
result in it being increased on other architectures as we may have to
actually add additional synchronization as I suspect we would need to
use acquire/release on both adj_limit and num_queued.

Thanks,

Alex