Date:	Sun, 16 Nov 2014 02:40:15 +0100
From:	Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@...il.com>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org,
	Aleksander Morgado <aleksander@...ksander.es>
Subject: Re: Understanding what's going on when using a Huawei E173 USB 3G
 web-stick (UMTS/HSPA)

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Greg KH <greg@...ah.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:23:55AM +0100, Sedat Dilek wrote:

>> > Most WWAN devices actually require option, because most WWAN devices
>> > have "serial" ports (even if they aren't used for PPP), and 'option' is
>> > the driver that handles this.  The 'option' name is historic, but the
>> > driver should really be called something like 'wwan-serial-generic' or
>> > something like that.
>> >ö"
>>
>> Is there sth. against renaming the "option" driver to "wwan-serial-generic"?
>
> Yes, people's scripts might break that are hard-coded to use the
> "option" driver.

As far as I read on LKML... breaking userspace is a reason not to do
such changes.
That's really a reason not to break "handmade" scripts on some machines?
As this is new to me... is that documented?
Surely, it's fretful to change scripts, but life is change.
For me there is a more reasonable thing... Did you grep for "option"
pattern in the kernel sources?

> thanks,
>
> greg "here, have a vowel, they are cheap" k-h

Hmm, being a non-English native, I am not sure to get this...
What about languages from mostly Eastern countries having so much
consonants in a single word like Russian, Polish, etc.
Not every language is rich like German which has WOWels like "ä" (ae)
"ö" (oe) "ü" (ue).

- Sedat -