Date:	Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:00:13 +0000
From:	"Arad, Ronen" <ronen.arad@...el.com>
To:	Scott Feldman <sfeldma@...il.com>, Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
	Siva Mannem <siva.mannem.lnx@...il.com>,
	"marichika4@...il.com" <marichika4@...il.com>
Subject: RE: Clarification regarding IFLA_BRPORT_LEARNING_SYNC and aging of
 fdb entries learnt via br_fdb_external_learn_add()

I think that statistics accuracy is orthogonal to the mechanism used for aging
in all the cases where learning sync is enabled (i.e. cases 1, 3, 4).
Accuracy only depends on how frequent the switch port driver notifies the
bridge FDB. The best accuracy achievable is with updates once per-second. At
the other extreme the switch port driver does not refresh entries. It only
notifies the bridge after entries are removed from the HW. In this extreme case
the statistics will really show the time since an entry was first learned and
not the time since it was last re-learned in HW.
Switch port driver could pick some
acceptable rate to update the bridge module. Within a typical 5 minutes aging
interval, updates every 10 seconds or every 30 seconds could be a reasonable
tradeoff between statistics accuracy and system overhead.