Date:	Thu, 15 Jan 2015 07:49:56 -0500
From:	Jeff Layton <jeff.layton@...marydata.com>
To:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
Cc:	Jeff Layton <jeff.layton@...marydata.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ 2375.793397] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1149 at
 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1037 genl_unbind+0xc0/0xd0()

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:29:45 +0100
Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 07:14 -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
>
> > I was able to reproduce it again this morning. This time it generated
> > 28 warnings (all with similar stack traces to the one I posted
> > yesterday).
>
> Thanks. I just took a look at this, and it seems that sadly it doesn't
> include netlink messages in the log? At least I didn't find them - so I
> don't really know what happened. What I was thinking happened would
> (mostly) play out over netlink messages.

(re-cc'ing netdev -- I sent Johannes the log in a private email as
 it was 12M compressed)

It may have. I just recently started playing with trinity, so I don't
know much about what it does. I do see these sorts of messages in the
logs that imply that it's opening netlink sockets:

[main] fd[661] = domain:16 (PF_NETLINK) type:0x2 protocol:10
[main] fd[675] = domain:16 (PF_NETLINK) type:0x2 protocol:0

...and then it does random I/Os on those fds.

> > I haven't tested your patchset out yet, but I can try to do that
> > later.
>
> You won't be able to reproduce the warning with it since I removed it
> there. I'm reasonably certain though that you triggered one of the two
> cases I found, more likely the former that doesn't involve removing
> genetlink families (don't see how you could have done that with trinity
> unless it randomly loads and unloads modules?)

Ok, sounds good.

FWIW, it tries to call delete_module, but I was running this as an
unprivileged user so I don't think that can succeed.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@...marydata.com>