Date:	Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:53:29 +0100
From:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:	John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@...el.com>
Cc:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>, Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>,
	Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, andy@...yhouse.net,
	dborkman@...hat.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com, jesse@...ira.com,
	jpettit@...ira.com, joestringer@...ira.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
	sfeldma@...il.com, f.fainelli@...il.com, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com,
	linville@...driver.com, shrijeet@...il.com,
	gospo@...ulusnetworks.com, bcrl@...ck.org
Subject: Re: Flows! Offload them.

Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:11:23PM CET, john.r.fastabend@...el.com wrote:
>On 02/26/2015 12:16 PM, Neil Horman wrote:

>>> Just to expand slightly on this. I don't think you can get to a 1:1
>>> mapping here. One reason is hardware typically has a TCAM and limited
>>> size. So you need a _policy_ to determine when to push rules into the
>>> hardware. The kernel doesn't know when to do this and I don't believe
>>> its the kernel's place to start enforcing policy like this. One thing I likely
>>> need to do is get some more "worlds" in rocker so we aren't stuck only
>>> thinking about the infinite size OF_DPA world. The OF_DPA world is only
>>> one world and not a terribly flexible one at that when compared with the
>>> NPU folk. So minimally you need a flag to indicate rules go into hardware
>>> vs software.
>>>
>>> That said I think the bigger mismatch between software and hardware is
>>> you program it differently because the data structures are different. Maybe
>>> a u32 example would help. For parsing with u32 you might build a parse
>>> graph with a root and some leaf nodes. In hardware you want to collapse
>>> this down onto the hardware. I argue this is not a kernel task because
>>> there are lots of ways to do this and there are trade-offs made with
>>> respect to space and performance and which table to use when it could be
>>> handled by a set of tables. Another example is a virtual switch possibly
>>> OVS but we have others. The software does some "unmasking" (there term)
>>> before sending the rules into the software dataplane cache. Basically this
>>> means we can ignore priority in the hash lookup. However this is not how you
>>> would optimally use hardware. Maybe I should do another write up with
>>> some more concrete examples.
>>>
>>> There are also lots of use cases to _not_ have hardware and software in
>>> sync. A flag allows this.
>>>
>>> My only point is I think we need to allow users to optimally use there
>>> hardware either via 'tc' or my previous 'flow' tool. Actually in my
>>> opinion I still think its best to have both interfaces.
>>>
>>> I'll go get some coffee now and hopefully that is somewhat clear.
>>

>> I've been thinking about the policy apect of this, and the more I think about
>> it, the more I wonder if not allowing some sort of common policy in the kernel
>> is really the right thing to do here.  I know thats somewhat blasphemous, but
>> this isn't really administrative poilcy that we're talking about, at least not
>> 100%.  Its more of a behavioral profile that we're trying to enforce.  That may
>> be splitting hairs, but I think theres precidence for the latter.  That is to
>> say, we configure qdiscs to limit traffic flow to certain rates, and configure
>> policies which drop traffic that violates it (which includes random discard,
>> which is the antithesis of deterministic policy).  I'm not sure I see this as
>> any different, espcially if we limit its scope.  That is to say, why couldn't we
>> allow the kernel to program a predetermined set of policies that the admin can
> [...]

I'm not sure I understand. You said that admin could say: "I want a
route table and a nft table". But how does he say it? Isn't is enough
just to insert some rules into these 2 things and that would give hw a
clue what the admin is doing and what he wants? I believe that this
offload should happen transparently.

Of course, you may want to balance resources as you said the hw capacity
is limited. But I would leave that optional. API unknown so far...