Date:	Fri, 27 Feb 2015 08:00:29 -0800
From:	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
To:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
CC:	John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@...el.com>,
	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>,
	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>,
	Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, andy@...yhouse.net,
	dborkman@...hat.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com, jesse@...ira.com,
	jpettit@...ira.com, joestringer@...ira.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
	sfeldma@...il.com, f.fainelli@...il.com, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com,
	linville@...driver.com, shrijeet@...il.com,
	gospo@...ulusnetworks.com, bcrl@...ck.org
Subject: Re: Flows! Offload them.

On 02/27/2015 12:53 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:11:23PM CET, john.r.fastabend@...el.com wrote:

>>> I've been thinking about the policy apect of this, and the more I think about
>>> it, the more I wonder if not allowing some sort of common policy in the kernel
>>> is really the right thing to do here.  I know thats somewhat blasphemous, but
>>> this isn't really administrative poilcy that we're talking about, at least not
>>> 100%.  Its more of a behavioral profile that we're trying to enforce.  That may
>>> be splitting hairs, but I think theres precidence for the latter.  That is to
>>> say, we configure qdiscs to limit traffic flow to certain rates, and configure
>>> policies which drop traffic that violates it (which includes random discard,
>>> which is the antithesis of deterministic policy).  I'm not sure I see this as
>>> any different, espcially if we limit its scope.  That is to say, why couldn't we
>>> allow the kernel to program a predetermined set of policies that the admin can
>>> set (i.e. offload routing to a hardware cache of X size with an lru
>>> victimization).  If other well defined policies make sense, we can add them and
>>> exposes options via iproute2 or some such to set them.  For the use case where
>>> such pre-packaged policies don't make sense, we have things like the flow api to
>>> offer users who want to be able to control their hardware in a more fine grained
>>> approach.
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>

>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> I actually like this idea a lot. I might tweak a bit in that we could have some
>> feature bits or something like feature bits that expose how to split up the
>> hardware cache and give sizes.
>>
>> So the hypervisor (see I think of end hosts) or administrators could come in and
>> say I want a route table and a nft table. This creates a "flavor" over how the
>> hardware is going to be used. Another use case may not be doing routing at all
>> but have an application that wants to manage the hardware at a more fine grained
>> level with the exception of some nft commands so it could have a "nft"+"flow"
>> flavor. Insert your favorite use case here.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. You said that admin could say: "I want a
> route table and a nft table". But how does he say it? Isn't is enough
> just to insert some rules into these 2 things and that would give hw a
> clue what the admin is doing and what he wants? I believe that this
> offload should happen transparently.
>
> Of course, you may want to balance resources as you said the hw capacity
> is limited. But I would leave that optional. API unknown so far...

You can leave it optional and queue off the rule inserts but its not
very robust if the hardware capacity is smaller than the software
pipeline. This is the case for some of the setups we would like to get
working on Linux. In this case you can't have the transparent offload
because 'tc' or whatever may load a large set of irrelevant rules into
the hardware pipeline consuming the resources for flows that are control
traffic or exception cases. Perhaps worse what gets put into the
hardware is not very predictable.

So I agree we can support both cases we just need the API/feature bits
to turn it on/off. As far as the API I was thinking a "create" table
API would be sufficient. The kernel could request a "tc" table of size
1k and a "route" table of 4k for example then user space applications
could manage any un-reserved tables. I'm experimenting a bit with how
to make this work now. Maybe "create" should be "reserve".

.John

> --

John Fastabend         Intel Corporation