Date:	Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:05:45 +0100
From:	"Leonhard Preis" <leonhard@....is>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: iproute2 fails to work with certain device names

Hi!

iproute2’s ip utility fails to execute commands properly if one specifies
any of the four device names h, he, hel, and help and only prints out
usage information.

Expected behaviour for a non-existing device:

% ip link show dev
hello
:(
Device "hello" does not exist.

Expected behaviour for an existing device:

% ip link show dev lo
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode
DEFAULT group default
     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

Behaviour observed for both existing and absent devices called either h,
he, hel or help:

% ip link show dev
hel
:(
Usage: ip link add [link DEV] [ name ] NAME
                    [ txqueuelen PACKETS ]
                    [ address LLADDR ]
                    [ broadcast LLADDR ]
                    [ mtu MTU ] [index IDX ]
                    [ numtxqueues QUEUE_COUNT ]
                    [ numrxqueues QUEUE_COUNT ]
                    type TYPE [ ARGS ]
        ip link delete DEV type TYPE [ ARGS ]

        ip link set { dev DEVICE | group DEVGROUP } [ { up | down } ]
	                  [ arp { on | off } ]
	                  [ dynamic { on | off } ]
	                  [ multicast { on | off } ]
	                  [ allmulticast { on | off } ]
	                  [ promisc { on | off } ]
	                  [ trailers { on | off } ]
	                  [ txqueuelen PACKETS ]
	                  [ name NEWNAME ]
	                  [ address LLADDR ]
	                  [ broadcast LLADDR ]
	                  [ mtu MTU ]
	                  [ netns PID ]
	                  [ netns NAME ]
			  [ alias NAME ]
	                  [ vf NUM [ mac LLADDR ]
				   [ vlan VLANID [ qos VLAN-QOS ] ]
				   [ rate TXRATE ] ]
				   [ spoofchk { on | off} ] ]
				   [ state { auto | enable | disable} ] ]
			  [ master DEVICE ]
			  [ nomaster ]
			  [ addrgenmode { eui64 | none } ]
        ip link show [ DEVICE | group GROUP ] [up] [master DEV] [type TYPE]
        ip link help [ TYPE ]

TYPE := { vlan | veth | vcan | dummy | ifb | macvlan | macvtap |
           bridge | bond | ipoib | ip6tnl | ipip | sit | vxlan |
           gre | gretap | ip6gre | ip6gretap | vti | nlmon |
           bond_slave }

I successfully reproduced this on Debian Wheezy (iproute2 version
3.16.0-2~bpo70+1) and Arch Linux (iproute2 version 3.19.0-1).

While the general origin of this problem seems quite clear, I’m left to
wonder whether this is on purpose or not. Since I did not hit any other
obstacles with the device name I chose I came to the conclusion that this
may be a bug and it would be terrific if it could be fixed. For now I’ll
perhaps simply change my device name - another l at the end will do the
job. ;)

Please let me know if I could be of any further assistance or if this
report is missing vital information.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Leonhard

PS: I read in another thread that this mailing list is the "bug tracker"
for iproute2. I hope that statement is still true. It was my best shot at
the correct bug tracker.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen // Avec mes meilleures salutations // Best Regards
Leonhard Preis