Date:	Thu, 09 Apr 2015 15:30:47 -0700
From:	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:	Mason <slash.tmp@...e.fr>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
CC:	Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>, Mugunthan <mugunthanvnm@...com>,
	Matus Ujhelyi <ujhelyi.m@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Atheros 8035 PHY only works when at803x_config_init() is commented
 out

On 09/04/15 15:10, Mason wrote:
> Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> Mason wrote:

>>> Am I the only having problems with the AR8035? :-(
>>>
>>> The standard driver works for everyone but me?
>>>
>>> Did you take a look at the data sheet? Do you understand the
>>> difference between "Hardware Reset" and "Software Reset"?
>>
>> I did not.
>
> If I understand your quote from the standard correctly,
> then the behavior documented in the data sheet looks
> very non-compliant to my untrained eye.
>
>>> Also, why do you say the PHY is not working? When I apply the
>>> patch I proposed, it doesn't malfunction.
>>
>> There are no BMCR registers that would affect directly the passing of
>> unicast or broadcast traffic with distinction, which is how you
>> originally reported the problem, or maybe that was a bad description of
>> the issue?
>
> I didn't say anything about unicast vs broadcast.
>
> When I run the unpatched code, it looks like the PHY negotiates
> only 10 Mbps Half-duplex, then DHCP appears to succeed (IIUC
> only the very first packets are broadcast), and then the system
> hangs trying to mount the root filesystem over NFS.

So maybe you can make sure that your driver properly advertises all the
supported modes by your PHY, for instance, drivers/net/phy/bcm7xxx.c
calls genphy_config_aneg() to make sure that all modes are advertised
(the PHY does not advertise half-duplex modes by default).

> I actually left it running over lunch break, and according
> to the kernel's time stamps, the system seems to have managed
> to mount the root file system after 2000+ seconds.

Ah, so it's doing something after all.

>> Have you checked the Ethernet MAC MIB counters to see if there are any
>> errors reported differently from the working case to the non-working
>> case? What about your link partner, what does it looks like on its end
>> when it does not work?
>
> Should I use ethtool for this?

Yes. Which might be difficult since you depend on networking to mount
your rootfs, you should probably use an initramfs so you need NFS root
to work.

--
Florian