Date:	Thu, 7 May 2015 05:55:25 +0000
From:	Hiroshi Shimamoto <h-shimamoto@...jp.nec.com>
To:	"Skidmore, Donald C" <donald.c.skidmore@...el.com>,
	Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
	"sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
	"jogreene@...hat.com" <jogreene@...hat.com>,
	"Choi, Sy Jong" <sy.jong.choi@...el.com>,
	Edward Cree <ecree@...arflare.com>,
	Rony Efraim <ronye@...lanox.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next 07/11] if_link: Add VF multicast promiscuous control

The point is granularity, right?
Allow everything or allow subset of features.

> > 2. the suggested API only allows either unlimited number of mulicast groups
> > per VF or limited number, both numbers are vendor dependent, right?
> > maybe what we need for this specific matter is specifying how many
> > multicast groups are allowed for a VF?
>
> I believe the idea behind this interface was that it would allow VF's to request unlimited multicast group as opposed
> to the current behavior of each adapter offering some limited number.  This limit is of course defined by a given adapters
> HW/SW limitations.  Up until now you could keep asking for new multicast until the PF replied with an error.  So we never
> really exported this information before.  This new mode just allows us to never reach the point that the PF would deny
> a VF request to join a MC group.  Seems to me that an additional interface to provide the max number of supported multicast
> groups would be new functionality that could be independent of this patch and in fact could exist even without this patch.
> Or am I missing what you're asking for here. :)

I think that the current limitation of multicast on ixgbevf comes from the
implementation of mailbox API between VF and PF which has 32 words.

By the way, our requirement is to make VF promiscuous mode for SDN/NFV usage.
And there is a feature to enable in HW, we'd like to use it.
I know there is a possibility of performance degradation.

thanks,
Hiroshi