Date:	Fri, 15 May 2015 09:27:30 -0500
From:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
To:	John Whitmore <arigead@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: GSM Modem management?

On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 22:34 +0100, John Whitmore wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 03:20:36PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 20:44 +0100, John Whitmore wrote:
> > > Chances are that I'm in the wrong place here, "Linux" networking having so many
> > > parts, many of which aren't in the kernel, that being said this might be
> > > considered the centre of it all, so I thought I'd start here and see if
> > > somebody would point me in a direction that was better placed to answer some
> > > of my queries.
> > >
> > > I'm working on a mobile system, RaspberryPi based, which has two 4G USB
> > > Dongles for communications to the Internet. Both dongles are the same make and
> > > model but have different service provider sims. The idea being that if one has
> > > no coverage hopefully the other does have some degree of connectivity. I
> > > started by connecting up to the internet using network-manager-gnome for a
> > > single dongle. Unfortunately when I started a ping test after a couple of ping
> > > messages it crashed the whole raspbian system without any message going to
> > > /var/log/messages. Totally locked up.
> >
> > Odd, are these dongles using AT commands or are they using one of the
> > proprietary protocols like QMI, MBIM, or QCDM?  It's highly unlikely
> > that NetworkManager + ModemManager would be crashing your system when
> > using plain AT commands, but there have in the past been driver problems
> > with QMI and MBIM.  Can you give specifics on the dongles?
> >

> Thanks a million for that! I've never played with GSM Dongles before, so I'd
> never heard of anything but AT being used. That is a great help. Dongle is a
> Huawei E398. It's a LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard according to "lsusb" and
> comes in as 12d1:1505 and then after usb_modeswitch 12d1:1506. Given that
> "Networkcard" all those protocols you mentioned are probably what's being used.

I got your mail on ModemManager-devel and responded there too, just a
quick follow-up here.

So you're actually using a QMI-native device, but using it in PPP mode
with wvdial.  It looks from your logs like the modem is crashing and
dropping off the USB bus.  We should try QMI+net to see if that will
work better than PPP.

> > > Having failed with the Network-manager I used wvdial to establish a connection
> > > and that is as happy as larry, pinging away.
> >
> > Are you using PPP as the mechanism here?  Unless you have very low
> > bandwidth requirements I'd recommend using the pseudo-ethernet interface
> > provided by the modem (which often also requires using a proprietary
> > protocol like QMI or MBIM to control it) since this gives much higher
> > throughput especially with HSPA+ and LTE.
> >

> Yes when I use wvdial it brings them up using a ppp0 interface. I should go
> back to the network-manager and keep an eye on the modem manager. Didn't
> realise that service was in there so again thanks a million.
>
> > > My questions are to do with how to manage two identical Dongles. At present
> > > when usb-modeswitch ejects them, from CD Drive, into modem configuration, when
> > > "qmi_wwan" assignes a network name. I'd like to assign udev rules to assign
> > > carrier based names to the network interfaces. I'm not sure if udev will
> > > interfere with qmi_wwan?
> >
> > Aha, so you are using Qualcomm-based dongles :)  So NetworkManager +
> > ModemManager will natively try to use QMI + ethernet on these dongles
> > just like Windows does, because that provides the most flexibility and
> > speed.  So the crashes/hangs you were experiencing may be due to driver
> > issues in the qmi_wwan and cdc_wdm modules.  What kernel version are you
> > using here too?
>
> Latest for the RaspberryPi, I think, 3.18.13 on a RPi Vesion 2. It's not what
> came with raspbian but I built the latest.

Given that you're using ModemManager 0.5 (without QMI) or wvdial, kernel
version and driver issues in qmi_wwan or cdc-wdm won't be the cause of
the problems here and could be the solution :)

Anyway, lets follow up on ModemManager-devel.

Thanks!
Dan