Date:	Tue, 2 Jun 2015 14:33:49 -0700
From:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To:	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
Cc:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: How do I avoid recvmsg races with IP_RECVERR?

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Hannes Frederic Sowa
<hannes@...essinduktion.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 21:40, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, enabling IP_RECVERR causes the presence of a
>> queued error to cause recvmsg, etc to return an error (once).  It's
>> worse, though: a new error can be queued asynchronously at any time,
>> this setting sk_err to a nonzero value.  How do I sensibly distinguish
>> recvmsg failures to to genuine errors receiving messages from recvmsg
>> failures because there's a queued error?
>>
>> The only way I can see to get reliable error handling is to literally
>> call recvmsg in a loop:
>>
>> while (true /* or while POLLIN is set */) {
>>   int ret = recvmsg(..., MSG_ERRQUEUE not set);
>>   if (ret < 0 && /* what goes here? */) {
>>     whoops!  this might be a harmless asynchronous error!
>>     take no action!
>>   }
>
> I see either two possibilities:
>
> We export the icmp_err_convert tables along with the udp_lib_err error
> conversions to user space and spice them up with flags to mark if they
> are transient (icmp_err_convert already has a fatal flag).

This seems overcomplicated.  I'd rather have a flag I pass to tell the
kernel that I don't want to see transient errors (nd that I'll clear
them myself using POLLERR and either MSG_ERRQUEUE or SO_ERROR.

> Otherwise you should be able to call recvmsg with MSG_ERRQUEUE set after
> you got a ret < 0 when calling without MSG_ERRQUEUE and inspect the
> sock_extended_err, no?

I do this already, which makes me think that there's a bug or another
race somewhere.  I've only seen a failure once in several years of
operation.

The failure happened on a ping socket.  I suspect that the race is:

ping_err: ip_icmp_error(...);

user: recvmsg(MSG_ERRQUEUE) and dequeues the error.

ping_err: sk_err = err;

user: recvmsg(MSG_ERRQUEUE not set), and recvmsg sees and clears the
error via sock_error.

user: recvmsg(MSG_ERRQUEUE), and recvmsg returns -EAGAIN.

Now the user code thinks that it was a real (non-transient) error and aborts.

Shouldn't that sk->sk_err = err assignment at least use WRITE_ONCE?

Even if this race were fixed, this interface still sucks IMO.

--Andy