Date:	Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:49:29 -0400
From:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:	Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@...marydata.com>
Cc:	Anna Schumaker <anna.schumaker@...app.com>,
	linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: [REGRESSION] NFS is creating a hidden port (left over from
 xs_bind() )

I recently upgraded my main server to 4.0.4 from 3.19.5 and rkhunter
started reporting a hidden port on my box.

Running unhide-tcp I see this:

# unhide-tcp
Unhide-tcp 20121229
Copyright © 2012 Yago Jesus & Patrick Gouin
License GPLv3+ : GNU GPL version 3 or later
http://www.unhide-forensics.info
Used options:
[*]Starting TCP checking

Found Hidden port that not appears in ss: 946
[*]Starting UDP checking

This scared the hell out of me as I'm thinking that I have got some kind
of NSA backdoor hooked into my server and it is monitoring my plans to
smuggle Kinder Überraschung into the USA from Germany. I panicked!

Well, I wasted the day writing modules to first look at all the sockets
opened by all processes (via their file descriptors) and posted their
port numbers.

  http://rostedt.homelinux.com/private/tasklist.c

But this port wasn't there either.

Then I decided to look at the ports in tcp_hashinfo.

  http://rostedt.homelinux.com/private/portlist.c

This found the port but no file was connected to it, and worse yet,
when I first ran it without using probe_kernel_read(), it crashed my
kernel, because sk->sk_socket pointed to a freed socket!

Note, each boot, the hidden port is different.

Finally, I decided to bring in the big guns, and inserted a
trace_printk() into the bind logic, to see if I could find the culprit.
After fiddling with it a few times, I found a suspect:

   kworker/3:1H-123   [003] ..s.    96.696213: inet_bind_hash: add 946

Bah, it's a kernel thread doing it, via a work queue. I then added a
trace_dump_stack() to find what was calling this, and here it is:

    kworker/3:1H-123   [003] ..s.    96.696222: <stack trace>
 => inet_csk_get_port
 => inet_addr_type
 => inet_bind
 => xs_bind
 => sock_setsockopt
 => __sock_create
 => xs_create_sock.isra.18
 => xs_tcp_setup_socket
 => process_one_work
 => worker_thread
 => worker_thread
 => kthread
 => kthread
 => ret_from_fork
 => kthread

I rebooted, and examined what happens. I see the kworker binding that
port, and all seems well:

# netstat -tapn |grep 946
tcp        0      0 192.168.23.9:946        192.168.23.22:55201     ESTABLISHED -

But waiting for a bit, the connection goes into a TIME_WAIT, and then
it just disappears. But the bind to the port does not get released, and
that port is from then on, taken.

This never happened with my 3.19 kernels. I would bisect it but this is
happening on my main server box which I usually only reboot every other
month doing upgrades. It causes too much disturbance for myself (and my
family) as when this box is offline, basically the rest of my machines
are too.

I figured this may be enough information to see if you can fix it.
Otherwise I can try to do the bisect, but that's not going to happen
any time soon. I may just go back to 3.19 for now, such that rkhunter
stops complaining about the hidden port.

If you need anymore information, let me know.

-- Steve