Date:	Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:10:53 +0530
From:	"Siva Reddy (Siva) Kallam" <siva.kallam@...adcom.com>
To:	Douglas Miller <dougmill@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Michael Chan <mchan@...adcom.com>
CC:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Prashant Sreedharan <prashant@...adcom.com>
Subject: Re: Question on behavior of tg3_self_test() (ethtool -t on tg3 driver)

On 8/12/2015 6:02 PM, Douglas Miller wrote:
> Oh, I had missed the extra "if" condition on tg3_test_link(). So
> "external_lb" is not a true superset of "offline".
>
> So you are not surprised by the (about) 20 second "link down" period
> after this test? If this is expected (albeit undocumented) behavior we
> can change the test scenario to work around it. It seems as though not
> all adapters exhibit this same symptom. From a testing standpoint, it
> is a long delay to add that may only be needed for this one adapter
> (Broadcom BCM5719, or adapter family).

We executed the "ethtool -t <dev> offline" in a loop on our local test
machine with 5719 and linkup time is <= 5 secs.

Script:
#!/bin/bash
echo "---------OS Information---------"
uname -a
echo "----------Card Information----------"
lspci | grep 5719
echo "----------Interface information------"
ethtool -i p4p4
echo "---------Offline test start----------"
for i in 1 2 3
do
     date
     ethtool -t p4p4 offline
done

Output:

---------OS Information---------
Linux siva-dev 4.2.0-rc4+ #1 SMP Thu Aug 13 20:24:11 IST 2015 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
----------Card Information----------
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
03:00.2 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
03:00.3 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)