Date:	Fri, 9 Oct 2015 20:20:28 -0700
From:	Scott Feldman <sfeldma@...il.com>
To:	Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com>
Cc:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ido Schimmel <idosch@...lanox.com>,
	Elad Raz <eladr@...lanox.com>,
	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>,
	"andrew@...n.ch" <andrew@...n.ch>,
	john fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
	David Laight <David.Laight@...lab.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next] bridge: try switchdev op first in __vlan_vid_add/del

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Vivien Didelot
<vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com> wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
>
> On Oct. Friday 09 (41) 01:54 PM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>
>>
>> Some drivers need to implement both switchdev vlan ops and
>> vid_add/kill ndos. For that to work in bridge code, we need to try
>> switchdev op first when adding/deleting vlan id.
>
> Just curious, when would a driver need to have both operations?

Ya, I was kind of curious of that myself. Is this because the driver
wants to support standalone VLANs using 802.1q module and vconfig, as
well as bridge vlans?  With the vlan support built into the bridge,
I've been working under the assumption that 802.1q module (and
vconfig) aren't needed, and vlans for a bridged and non-bridge port
can be managed using the "bridge" iproute2 cmd.

> I kinda have the same question regarding ndo_fdb_{add,del} and the
> bridge_{get,set}link equivalent, which is a bit confusing to me.

I had to look back at my commit 7f109539 to remind myself about the
vid_add/kill ndos and bridge_{get,set}link usage.   Maybe that
write-up helps?  I'm not following you on the ndo_fdb_add/del part of
your question.