Date:	Mon, 23 Nov 2015 14:48:30 -0200
From:	Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner@...il.com>
To:	Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
Cc:	Yuval Mintz <Yuval.Mintz@...gic.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: What's the benefit of large Rx rings?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 07:16:25AM -0800, Alexander Duyck wrote:

> >> The main benefit of large Rx rings is that you could theoretically
> >> support longer delays between device interrupts.  So for example if
> >> you have a protocol such as UDP that doesn't care about latency then
> >> you could theoretically set a large ring size, a large interrupt delay
> >> and process several hundred or possibly even several thousand packets
> >> per device interrupt instead of just a few.
> >
> > So we're basically spending hundred of MBs [at least for high-speed
> > ethernet devices] on memory that helps us mostly on the first
> > coalesced interrupt [since later it all goes through napi re-scheduling]?
> > Sounds a bit... wasteful.
>
> The hundreds of MBs might be stretching it a bit.  It is most likely
> more like tens of MBs, not hundreds.  For example the ixgbe driver
> uses 512 buffers for Rx by default.  Each Rx buffer is 4K so that
> comes out to only 2MB per ring.  Other than that there are 8K worth of
> descriptors and another 12K worth of buffer info data.
>
> It all depends on priorities.  You could decrease the delay between
> interrupts and reduce the Rx ring size but it means for a lightly
> loaded system you may see significantly higher CPU utilization.
>
> Another thing to keep in mind is for things like virtualization the
> interrupt latency is increased and as a result you need more buffering
> to allow for the greater delay between the IRQ and when the NAPI
> instance in the guest actually begins polling.

There are other factors too that may cause extra processing during that
softirq. If you have netfilter rules, for example, they are processed
in the same SI that is receiving the packets, it's part of it. Then you
can have rules that are check for some packets and rules are skipped,
etc..

Even tcp processing is done at this time, specially if you don't use
RFS. If a given socket starts to get its rx buffer full, it may trigger
a buffer collapse (tcp_collapse()) and will consume an extra cpu time
for that packet only.

But for how big is worth having it, that's a good question, as these
extra processing depends on traffic pattern, CPU model, memory
speed/availability, etc, while NIC line rate may remain nearly constant.

  Marcelo