Date:	Sun, 29 Nov 2015 15:06:17 +0200
From:	Haggai Eran <haggaie@...lanox.com>
To:	Joe Stringer <joestringer@...ira.com>,
	Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>
CC:	Jesse Gross <jesse@...nel.org>, Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...lanox.com>,
	"Jesse Gross" <jesse@...ira.com>,
	Ilya Lesokhin <ilyal@...lanox.com>,
	Rony Efraim <ronye@...lanox.com>,
	"Hadar Hen Zion" <hadarh@...lanox.com>,
	Jesse Gross <jesse@...ira.com>,
	"Pravin B Shelar" <pshelar@...ira.com>
Subject: Re: OVS VXLAN decap rule has full match on TTL for the outer headers?

On 14/11/2015 08:45, Joe Stringer wrote:

>> > ok, that makes things a bit better, but (see next)

>> > is there a deep reason for vlxan "learned flows" to actually match w
>> > or w.o wild cards on TTLs?? for non-tunneled flow I don't see  this
>> > happening.
> No deep reason I'm aware of.

Hi,

We looked into the OVS kernel module, and apparently there's a check
that rejects new tunnel flows if they don't have the TTL mask set [1].

I was able to trace it to this commit [2] on the OVS tree, but I don't
quite understand why the check was added. There was some discussion
about the patch on the mailing list [3] that hints this was about
catching zero TTL, but it has too little context for me to understand.

I'm adding the author and reviewer of the patch, perhaps they can help
explain this requirement.

Regards,
Haggai

[1]
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/openvswitch/flow_netlink.c?v=4.3#L660
[2] datapath: More flexible kernel/userspace tunneling attribute.
    9b405f1aa8d175dc63ad3ffe5d0fe05d5ee09162
[3] http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2013-January/024573.html