Date:	Sat, 12 Dec 2015 22:43:45 +0100
From:	Maximilian Engelhardt <maxi@...monizer.de>
To:	Realtek linux nic maintainers <nic_swsd@...ltek.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: r8169 nic sometimes doesn't work after changing the mac address

Hello,

I'm using a Lenovo TinkPad Edge E135 notebook that has a Realtek wired network
interface inbuilt. Under some conditions the nic doesn't work after changing
the mac address.

It took me some time to figure out that it makes a difference if I (re)boot my
notebook with or without the power supply plugged in. When I boot the system
with the power supply plugged in everything does work fine as expected. But if
I boot with the power supply unplugged and I change the mac address the
network card doesn't work.

This is how I am testing and how I can reproduce the behavior on my system:

* Boot Linux (Debian stable with a newer kernel)
* Network is still turned off, only loopback is enabled by default in my setup.
* I run the following commands:
  ip link set dev eth0 address 00:12:0c:96:a7:2e # a randomly generated mac
  ip link set dev eth0 up
  ip addr add dev eth0 10.0.252.50/24
  ip route add default via 10.0.252.1

When the notebook is booted with the power supply plugged in the network is
working as expected, e. g. I can ping the gateway.

But when the notebook was booted without the power supply attached the network
is not working e. g. pinging the gateway doesn't get any replies.

I found two ways to get the network working from this state (beside rebooting
with power plugged in):

* If I enable promiscous mode the network connections are working again:
  # ip link set dev eth0 promisc on

* Alternatively I can set the same mac address again while the interface is
up:
  # ip link set dev eth0 address 00:12:0c:96:a7:2e # same mac as before

So it seems like a mac filter in the network card is not set up right.

Attached are dmesg output of a boot with and without power supply attached as
well as the output of lspci -vvv.

Please let me know If you need more information.

Thanks,
Maxi

View attachment "dmesg_nopower" of type "text/plain" (67367 bytes)

View attachment "dmesg_power" of type "text/plain" (66501 bytes)

View attachment "lspci.txt" of type "text/plain" (31004 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)