Date:	Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:04:31 +0000
From:	Roosen Henri <Henri.Roosen@...zinger.com>
To:	'Florian Fainelli' <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
	"david.daney@...ium.com" <david.daney@...ium.com>
CC:	"buytenh@...tstofly.org" <buytenh@...tstofly.org>,
	"grant.likely@...retlab.ca" <grant.likely@...retlab.ca>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Subject: AW: Commit-8b63ec18 breaks setting PHY pad-skew settings

Thanks Florian for your reply and getting the mailing-list into the loop!

> This particular issue is fixed with the following commit:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=651
> df2183543bc92f5dbcf99cd9e236ead0bc4c5

Unfortunately the patch is incomplete: it only fixes the issue for the KSZ9021. Please have a look at the funcion ksz9031_config_init() which has the the same (broken) search for the parent node.

As both the code for KSZ9021 as well as the code for KSZ9031 parse the same pad skew settings from the OF node (and to prevent incomplete fixes in the future), I think this code is a candidate to be cleaned up. Or is cooking up a similar patch for the KSZ9031 as for the KSZ9021 preferred?

Additionally, if this is a deprecated feature (like the commit states), then the devicetree binding documentation (Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/micrel-ksz90x1.txt) should be updated. At least the deprecated example for autodetected PHY's should be corrected/removed.

--
Henri
> --
> Florian