Date:	Wed, 30 Dec 2015 10:38:56 +0100
From:	Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
To:	Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
	Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 4.4-rc7 failure report

On 12/30/2015 05:16 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:44:31PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:

>>> I've tried to reproduce, but cannot seem to make dnsmasq work properly
>>> over vlan, so bisect would be great.
>>
>> Yeah, I've been working on it.  Issues with available machines that
>> reproduce combined with what hardware they have and whether or not that
>> hardware works at various steps in the bisection :-/
>
> I've looked through all bpf related commits between v4.3..HEAD and don't see
> anything suspicious. Could it be that your setup exploited a bug that was fixed by

Agreed, also went over the bpf history yesterday and didn't find anything
that could be related to this issue between the two tags.

The filter that dhclient seems to be using is (common/bpf.c):

struct bpf_insn dhcp_bpf_filter [] = {
	/* Make sure this is an IP packet... */
	BPF_STMT (BPF_LD + BPF_H + BPF_ABS, 12),
	BPF_JUMP (BPF_JMP + BPF_JEQ + BPF_K, ETHERTYPE_IP, 0, 8),

	/* Make sure it's a UDP packet... */
	BPF_STMT (BPF_LD + BPF_B + BPF_ABS, 23),
	BPF_JUMP (BPF_JMP + BPF_JEQ + BPF_K, IPPROTO_UDP, 0, 6),

	/* Make sure this isn't a fragment... */
	BPF_STMT(BPF_LD + BPF_H + BPF_ABS, 20),
	BPF_JUMP(BPF_JMP + BPF_JSET + BPF_K, 0x1fff, 4, 0),

	/* Get the IP header length... */
	BPF_STMT (BPF_LDX + BPF_B + BPF_MSH, 14),

	/* Make sure it's to the right port... */
	BPF_STMT (BPF_LD + BPF_H + BPF_IND, 16),
	BPF_JUMP (BPF_JMP + BPF_JEQ + BPF_K, 67, 0, 1),             /* patch */

	/* If we passed all the tests, ask for the whole packet. */
	BPF_STMT(BPF_RET+BPF_K, (u_int)-1),

	/* Otherwise, drop it. */
	BPF_STMT(BPF_RET+BPF_K, 0),
};

Given that this drop doesn't strictly need to be caused by filter code,
it would be nice if you could pin the location down where the packet gets
dropped exactly. Perhaps dropwatch or perf with '-e skb:kfree_skb -a -g
dhclient <iface>', etc could help to get a first overview to dig into
details then.