Date:	Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:33:09 +0000
From:	David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
To:	'Teresa Remmet' <t.remmet@...tec.de>,
	Igor Plyatov <plyatov@...il.com>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
Subject: RE: phy: SMSC LAN8710/LAN8720 high load

From: Teresa Remmet
> Sent: 11 January 2016 07:42
> we have noticed load issues on our AM335x boards with a LAN8710 phy while
> cpu is idling using 4.4-rc8.
>
> CPU:   0% usr   0% sys   0% nic  99% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq
> Load average: 1.21 1.16 1.00 1/84 372

The 'Load average' value is mostly meaningless.
It includes any process/thread that is sleeping uninterruptably - even
if the process is never woken (or is only woken for short periods).

If you have a kernel thread that you don't want affected by signals
(exits on some request to the driver) then you end up increasing the
'load average'.

	David