Date:	Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:57:56 +0100
From:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:	Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, idosch@...lanox.com,
	eladr@...lanox.com, yotamg@...lanox.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com,
	jhs@...atatu.com, sfeldma@...il.com,
	vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, f.fainelli@...il.com,
	linux@...ck-us.net, gospo@...ulusnetworks.com,
	roopa@...ulusnetworks.com, rami.rosen@...el.com,
	nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com, horms@...ge.net.au,
	pjonnala@...adcom.com, olichtne@...hat.com, jtluka@...hat.com,
	jprochaz@...hat.com
Subject: Re: switchdev automated testing

Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 04:51:14PM CET, andrew@...n.ch wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 03:46:57PM +0100, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> Hi All.
>>
>> Just want to send a small note here about what we use for mlxsw driver
>> automated testing. It can be handy for other people using switchdev
>> infra, namely DSA guys.
>
>Hi Jiri
>
>I have a few hacked together python scripts combined with the Ostinato
>drone, integrated into a Jenkins CI system, for testing DSA.
>
>Taking a quick look at the XML files, it looks like we took different
>approaches. I have a host with 8 Ethernet interfaces connected to the
>switch. You appear to have many more machines, with one or two
>interfaces connected to the switch per machine. This is going to make
>it difficult for me to run your tests using my setup.

You can run 2 lnst-slave instances on a single host, each using 4 NICs.
Then you can run our tests as well. Or you can setup 2 VMs and put NICs
in them using pci passthrough.

>I only took a quick look at the tests, but it also does not seem like
>the linux machine in the switch itself is involved in the
>tests. e.g. l2-000-minimal.py, you put IP addresses on the two
>machines connected to the switch, but what about putting an address on
>the linux bridge interface and make sure you can ping that as well?
>This is important for DSA, since the switch is often embedded in a
>WiFi access point and a lot of traffic is coming from the wifi device
>attached to the linux host.

This usecase we do not test now. But it is very easy to add another
recipe for this.

>> It's just a start. We'd like to make them more complete, possibly with
>> your help.
>
>If i can make them work with my testbed setup, and i can get test
>results in a form Jenkins understands, i would be interested in using
>them.

AFAIK, we run LNST from Jenkins as well. That should not be a problem.

>Are you going to be in the netdev 1.1 switchdev BoF? Maybe we can
>discuss testing there?

I will be there. Sure, lets discuss it there.