Date:	Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:01:22 +0100
From:	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
To:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:	Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
	Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, idosch@...lanox.com,
	eladr@...lanox.com, yotamg@...lanox.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com,
	yishaih@...lanox.com, dledford@...hat.com, sean.hefty@...el.com,
	hal.rosenstock@...il.com, eugenia@...lanox.com,
	roopa@...ulusnetworks.com, nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com,
	hadarh@...lanox.com, jhs@...atatu.com, john.fastabend@...il.com,
	jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com, jbenc@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 0/6] Introduce devlink interface and first
 drivers to use it

On 04.02.2016 14:26, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 02:22:17PM CET, hannes@...essinduktion.org wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Btw, if you add this tool into iproute2 (which would be preferred), then
>>> probably dl should be ok (and easier retrievable in that relation).
>>
>> This doesn't seem to be too much related to networking? Why can't something
>> like this be in sysfs?
>
> It is related to networking quite bit. There has been couple of
> iteration of this, including sysfs and configfs implementations. There
> has been a consensus reached that this should be done by netlink. I
> believe netlink is really the best for this purpose. Sysfs is not a good
> idea.

Okay. I see it more as changing mode of operation of hardware and thus
has not really anything to do with networking. If you say you change
ethernet to infiniband it has something to do with networking, sure. But
I am fine with this, I just thought the code size could be reduced by
adding this to sysfs quite a lot. I don't have a strong opinion on this.

The attributes seem to reassemble sysfs quite a lot and at the same time
implement a dependency on the ifindex which in a relational model is not
really possible? Do infiniband devices have ifindexes? Names for
infiniband and netdev are hardcoded? Shouldn't an interface to deliver
hw msg be better in terms of streaming than using netlink?

Thanks,
Hannes