Date:	Mon, 11 Apr 2016 18:19:07 +0200
From:	Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>
Cc:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>,
	Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...mgrid.com>,
	lsf@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>,
	Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>,
	lsf-pc@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
	brouer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [Lsf] [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Generic page-pool recycle
 facility?

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:08:27 +0100 Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 02:26:39PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
[...]
> > It is always great if you can optimized the page allocator.  IMHO the
> > page allocator is too slow.
>
> It's why I spent some time on it as any improvement in the allocator is
> an unconditional win without requiring driver modifications.
>
> > At least for my performance needs (67ns
> > per packet, approx 201 cycles at 3GHz).  I've measured[1]
> > alloc_pages(order=0) + __free_pages() to cost 277 cycles(tsc).
> >

> It'd be worth retrying this with the branch
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/mel/linux.git/log/?h=mm-vmscan-node-lru-v4r5

The cost decreased to: 228 cycles(tsc), but there are some variations,
sometimes it increase to 238 cycles(tsc).

Nice, but there is still a looong way to my performance target, where I
can spend 201 cycles for the entire forwarding path....

> This is an unreleased series that contains both the page allocator
> optimisations and the one-LRU-per-node series which in combination remove a
> lot of code from the page allocator fast paths. I have no data on how the
> combined series behaves but each series individually is known to improve
> page allocator performance.
>
> Once you have that, do a hackjob to remove the debugging checks from both the
> alloc and free path and see what that leaves. They could be bypassed properly
> with a __GFP_NOACCT flag used only by drivers that absolutely require pages
> as quickly as possible and willing to be less safe to get that performance.

I would be interested in testing/benchmarking a patch where you remove
the debugging checks...

You are also welcome to try out my benchmarking modules yourself:
 https://github.com/netoptimizer/prototype-kernel/blob/master/getting_started.rst

This is really simple stuff (for rapid prototyping) I'm just doing:
 modprobe page_bench01; rmmod page_bench01 ; dmesg | tail -n40

[...]
> Be aware that compound order allocs like this are a double edged sword as
> it'll be fast sometimes and other times require reclaim/compaction which
> can stall for prolonged periods of time.

Yes, I've notice that there can be a fairly high variation, when doing
compound order allocs, which is not so nice!  I really don't like these
variations....

Drivers also do tricks where they fallback to smaller order pages. E.g.
lookup function mlx4_alloc_pages().  I've tried to simulate that
function here:
https://github.com/netoptimizer/prototype-kernel/blob/91d323fc53/kernel/mm/bench/page_bench01.c#L69

It does not seem very optimal. I tried to mem pressure the system a bit
to cause the alloc_pages() to fail, and then the result were very bad,
something like 2500 cycles, and it usually got the next order pages.

> > I've measured order 3 (32KB) alloc_pages(order=3) + __free_pages() to
> > cost approx 500 cycles(tsc).  That was more expensive, BUT an order=3
> > page 32Kb correspond to 8 pages (32768/4096), thus 500/8 = 62.5
> > cycles.  Usually a network RX-frame only need to be 2048 bytes, thus
> > the "bulk" effect speed up is x16 (32768/2048), thus 31.25 cycles.

The order=3 cost were reduced to: 417 cycles(tsc), nice!  But I've also
seen it jump to 611 cycles.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer