Date:	Thu, 26 May 2016 11:21:49 -0700
From:	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:	chf.fritz@...glemail.com, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:	Steve Glendinning <steve.glendinning@...well.net>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: usbnet: smsc95xx: fix link detection for disabled autonegotiation

On 05/26/2016 04:01 AM, Christoph Fritz wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 04:31 +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 04:06:47AM +0200, Christoph Fritz wrote:
>>> To detect link status up/down for connections where autonegotiation is
>>> explicitly disabled, we don't get an irq but need to poll the status
>>> register for link up/down detection.
>>> This patch adds a workqueue to poll for link status.
>>
>> Did you consider using the phylib? It probably does the needed polling
>> already, and it looks like the functions needed to implement an MDIO
>> bus are already in place.
>
> smsc95xx supports a relative wide range of PHYs which I don't have
> access to in regard of testing. So I prefer the least invasive one (with
> this patch) as mostly all of the other usbnet drivers do.

My reading of the driver is that it only supports its internal PHY, so
it should be pretty straightforward to extend drivers/net/phy/smsc.c to
support it?

> A merge to phylib while paying attention to all the suspend modes and
> testing the wide range of PHYs would surely be the right thing to do.

Yes, the suspend stuff could be a little tricky, but not impossible, the
microchip lan78xx is an user of PHYLIB and it seems to work okay.
--
Florian