Date:	Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:24:11 +0200
From:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, nogahf@...lanox.com, idosch@...lanox.com,
	eladr@...lanox.com, yotamg@...lanox.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com,
	roopa@...ulusnetworks.com, nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com,
	linville@...driver.com, tgraf@...g.ch, gospo@...ulusnetworks.com,
	sfeldma@...il.com, sd@...asysnail.net, eranbe@...lanox.com,
	ast@...mgrid.com, edumazet@...gle.com, hannes@...essinduktion.org,
	f.fainelli@...il.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v4 0/4] return offloaded stats as default and
 expose original sw stats

Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 02:26:32AM CEST, davem@...emloft.net wrote:
>From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
>Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:37:13 +0200
>
>> Until now we had stats functions return SW statistics. However, it makes
>> a lot of sense to return HW stats as default. The existing apps count with
>> having the defaults stats complete, but that is not true now as the offloaded
>> forward traffic is not visible there.
>>
>> If user wants to know real SW stats, this patchset provides way to get
>> it as well.
>
>I think we haven't been very good about defining good rules nor
>guidelines for how to handle HW vs SW stats, and I'm talking
>strictly about what we publish via rtnl_link_stats64.
>
>However, if I were working from scratch on a new driver what I would
>be inclined to do is use HW stats for everything that the chip
>provides direct and accurate support for, and fill in the gaps with SW
>stats.
>
>Because to me, stats are stats, the user wants to know (for example)
>how many broadcast packets have gone through the port and doesn't care
>how you obtain that number.
>
>If the problem being addressed is that drivers aren't reporting
>information on all the packets going through the device, then that's a
>bug.
>
>But it seems to me like mlxsw is already maintaining the software
>statistic counters, so I can't see a performance reason for not
>properly providing all of the statistics using HW vs. SW as is
>appropriate for each and every value to fix this problem.  Why
>create an entire new facility just for that?  It doesn't seem to
>be needed.
>
>Maybe you just need to describe things a bit more completely in this
>header posting.

The problem we try to handle is different, it's about offloaded
forwarded packets which are not seen by kernel. Let me try to draw it :)

    port1                       port2 (HW stats are counted here)
      \                          /
       \                        /
        \                      /
         --(A)---- ASIC --(B)--

                   (C)

                   CPU (SW stats are counted here)

Now we have couple of flows for TX and RX (direction does not matter here):

1) port1->A->ASIC->C->CPU

   For this flow, HW and SW stats are equal.

2) port1->A->ASIC->C->CPU->C->ASIC->B->port2

   For this flow, HW and SW stats are equal.

3) port1->A->ASIC->B->port2

   For this flow, SW stats are 0.

The purpose of this patchset is to provide facility for user to
find out the difference between flows 1+2 and 3. In other words, user
will be able to see the statistics for his slow-path (through kernel).

Also, as a default the accumulated stats (HW) will be exposed to user
so the userspace apps can react properly.