Date:	Sun, 26 Jun 2016 19:53:53 -0700
From:	Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:	Anuradha Karuppiah <anuradhak@...ulusnetworks.com>,
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v5 0/4] return offloaded stats as default and
 expose original sw stats

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us> wrote:
> Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 08:06:40PM CEST, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com wrote:

>>> What you are proposing is essentially what our patchset does. We expose
>>> 2 sets of stats. hw and pure sw. hw includes all, driver will take
>>> care of it cause he knows what is going on in hw.
>>the splitting into hw and sw is causing some confusion with respect
>
> I still don't get why you are talking about split :( I see no split.
>

>>to existing stats and will be confusing for future stats. And i am not sure how many
>>users would prefer the split this way.
>>So, instead of doing the split, i think we should at this time introduce
>>driver specific stats (like ethtool) as a nested netlink attribute.
>
> The default netlink stats should be hw (or accumulated as you call it).
> The reason is to avoid confusion for existing apps. Another attribute is
> possible for more break-out stats - that is what this patchset is doing.
>
> Ethtool stats are wrong and useless for apps as they are driver-specific.

apps only care about overall stats. thats the aggregate stats
provided by the default netlink netdev api to the user...which already exists.

they don't care about your new breakdown either.

breakdown of stats are used for debugging and thats what ethtool stats provide.

>>> Btw mirroring random string stats into Netlink is not a good idea IMO.
>>Any reason you say that ?. I am thinking it would be much easier with netlink.
>>keeping it simple, it is a nested attribute with stat-name and value pair.
>>
>>struct stat {
>>    char stats_name[STATS_NAME_LEN];    /* STATS_NAME_LEN = 32 */
>>    __u64 stat;
>>};
>
> No please. This should be well defined generic group of stats.
> Driver-specific names/stats stats are wrong.

they are meant for debugging. are you saying the new stats api should
not contain 'ethtool like' stats ?

ethtool stats are very valuable today. They are extensible.
They cannot be made generic and they are specific to a hardware or use case.

We use it for our switch port stats too. Base aggregate stats summed
up and provided as default netdev stats. via ethtool we provide lot
more hardware specific breakdown.