Date:	Mon, 08 Aug 2016 11:27:32 +0200
From:	Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
To:	Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
	Sargun Dhillon <sargun@...gun.me>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, daniel@...que.org,
	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>, aravinda@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [net-next 0/2] BPF, kprobes: Add current_in_cgroup helper

On 08/08/2016 05:52 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 08:08:19PM -0700, Sargun Dhillon wrote:
>> Thanks for your feedback Alexei,
>> I really appreciate it.

>>> so it's about restricting or determining?
>>> In other words if it's analytics/tracing that's one thing, but
>>> enforcement/restriction is quite different.
>>> For analytics one can walk task_css_set(current)->dfl_cgrp and remember
>>> that pointer in a map or something for stats collections and similar.
>>> If it's restricting apps in containers then kprobe approach
>>> is not usable. I don't think you'd want to built an enforcement system
>>> on an unstable api then can vary kernel-to-kernel.
>>>
>> The first real-world use case are to implement something like Sysdig. Often the
>> team running the team running the containers don't always know what's inside of
>> them, so they want to be able to view network, I/O, and other activity by
>> container. Right now, the lowest common denominator between all of the
>> containerization techniques is cgroups. We've seen examples of where a admin is
>> unsure of the workload, and would love to use opensnoop, but there are too many
>> workloads on the machine.
>
> Indeed it would be a useful feature to teach opensnoop to filter by a cgroup
> and all descentants of it. If you can prepare a patch for it that would be
> a strong use case for this bpf_current_in_cgroup helper and solid justification
> to accept it in the kernel.
> Something like cgroupv2 string path as an argument ?

How does this integrate with cgroup namespaces? Your current helper would only
look at the cgroup in your current namespace, no? Or would the program populating
the map temporarily switch into other namespaces?

What about cases where cgroup could be shared among other (net, ..) namespaces,
BPF program would still not be namespace aware to sort these things out?

You'll also have the issue, for example, that bpf_perf_event_read() counters
are global, combining them with cgroups helper in a program would lead to false
expectations (in the sense that they might also be assumed for that cgroup), or
do you have a way to tackle that as well (at least SW events, since HW should not
be possible)?

Btw, there's slightly related work from IBM folks (but to run it from within a
container; there was a v2 recently I recall):

   https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/6/14/547