Date:   Tue, 23 Aug 2016 07:46:37 -0700
From:   Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
CC:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        nogahf@...lanox.com, idosch@...lanox.com, eladr@...lanox.com,
        yotamg@...lanox.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com,
        nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com, linville@...driver.com, tgraf@...g.ch,
        gospo@...ulusnetworks.com, sfeldma@...il.com, sd@...asysnail.net,
        eranbe@...lanox.com, ast@...mgrid.com, edumazet@...gle.com,
        hannes@...essinduktion.org, f.fainelli@...il.com,
        dsa@...ulusnetworks.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v6_repost 2/3] net: core: add SW stats to if_stats_msg

On 8/23/16, 12:26 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 09:04:15AM CEST, davem@...emloft.net wrote:
>> From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
>> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 08:53:18 +0200
>>
>>> Anyway I think that next level of nesting is not necessary. On
>>> contrary, it is wrong. The current level is extensible, mixed and
>>> flagged already. I don't see any reason why not to add whatever kind of
>>> stats here. What makes IFLA_STATS_LINK_SW_64 or for example
>>> IFLA_STATS_LINK_HW_ACL so special it has to be nested in some other
>>> attr? I would understand it it would be values of one family, but that
>>> is not the case.
>> First, I agree with Roopa.  If we want to put this stuff out
>> there is should be bucketed together in a nested attribute with
>> other similar stats specifications.
> Well I still don't think that IFLA_STATS_LINK_SW_64 and
> IFLA_STATS_LINK_HW_ACL are related. You cannot put it under *DRIVER*
> nest as IFLA_STATS_LINK_SW_64 are core stats.
not sure i understand, why is this core stats ?.
should a new logical device implement  IFLA_STATS_LINK_64 or IFLA_STATS_LINK_SW_64 ?
any other users ?.

>  So we can put them under
> *MISC* nest attr. But that is exactly purpose of the top-level here.
> /me confused

By design top level is for higher level grouping of stats (that also helps us maintain a lean higher
level filter space). They are mainly categories of stats. for example we have a nested link
XSTATS attribute..which are again a break down of stats already counted in IFLA_STATS_LINK_64.
That's why I think we can group this into another kind of breakdown stats.

thanks,
Roopa