Date:   Tue, 20 Sep 2016 08:02:39 +0200
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
Cc:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        davem@...emloft.net, idosch@...lanox.com, eladr@...lanox.com,
        yotamg@...lanox.com, nogahf@...lanox.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com,
        nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com, linville@...driver.com, tgraf@...g.ch,
        gospo@...ulusnetworks.com, sfeldma@...il.com, ast@...mgrid.com,
        edumazet@...gle.com, hannes@...essinduktion.org,
        dsa@...ulusnetworks.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
        vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, john.fastabend@...el.com,
        andrew@...n.ch, ivecera@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 0/2] fib4 offload: notifier to let hw to be
 aware of all prefixes

Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 07:49:47AM CEST, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com wrote:
>On 9/19/16, 8:15 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>>> maybe it is not today...but the requirement for devlink was to provide a way to communicate
>>> to the switch driver
>>> - global switch attributes or
>>> - things that cannot go via switch ports (exactly the problem you are trying to solve for routes here)
>> Devlink is a general beast, not switch specific one. I see no need to
>> use fib->devlink->driver route inside kernel. Devlink is for userspace
>> facing.
>
>yes, sure. it has a dev abstraction and an api. devlink discussion started a few years ago in the context
>of switch asics for the very same reason that it will help direct the offload call to the
>switch device driver when you cant apply the settings on a per port basis.
>You have kept the abstraction and api generic ..which is a great thing.
>But that can't be the reason for it to not support its original intent...if there is a way.
>

>>> so,  maybe an instance of switch asic modeled via devlink will help here and possibly all/other switchdev
>>> offload hooks ?
>> Maybe, but in case of fibs, the notifier just fits great. I see no need
>> for anything else.
>
>I think its better to stick with 'offload api or notifier' whichever we pick ..
>to be consistent with other switchdev offload areas. That was the original intent of
>introducing the switchdev api layer. If we are now replacing the switchdev api with notifiers,

I strongly disagree. Make it uniform is not desirable. For some things,
direct ndo/sdo make sense and is better. For some other things, notifier
fits better. For example when I was implementing LAG offload,
I also chose a notifier.

>assuming 'notifiers are the best way' to offload routes, lets keep it consistent with
>other switchdev offload areas too.
>
>I know you already have them for links...and that is good..because links already have notifiers.
>we will need the same thing for acls. Having notifiers for acls too seems like an overkill.

Acls will reuse the tc ndo infra. No notifiers required there.

>we will then have to extend this to multicast and mpls routes too. will all these be notifiers too ?

I believe so.

>Do you see any scale problems with using notifiers ?. as you know these ascis can scale to
>32k-128k routes.

I don't see any problem there. What do you think might be wrong?