Date:   Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:39:13 +0200
From:   Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
To:     Dongpo Li <lidongpo@...ilicon.com>
Cc:     netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: question about function igmp_stop_timer() in net/ipv4/igmp.c

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 09:13:54AM +0800, Dongpo Li wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 2016/10/24 23:32, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 07:50:12PM +0800, Dongpo Li wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> We encountered a multicast problem when two set-top box(STB) join the same multicast group and leave.
> >> The two boxes can join the same multicast group
> >> but only one box can send the IGMP leave group message when leave,
> >> the other box does not send the IGMP leave message.
> >> Our boxes use the IGMP version 2.
> >>
> >> I added some debug info and found the whole procedure is like this:
> >> (1) Box A joins the multicast group 225.1.101.145 and send the IGMP v2 membership report(join group).
> >> (2) Box B joins the same multicast group 225.1.101.145 and also send the IGMP v2 membership report(join group).
> >> (3) Box A receives the IGMP membership report from Box B and kernel calls igmp_heard_report().
> >>     This function will call igmp_stop_timer(im).
> >>     In function igmp_stop_timer(im), it tries to delete IGMP timer and does the following:
> >>         im->tm_running = 0;
> >>         im->reporter = 0;
> >> (4) Box A leaves the multicast group 225.1.101.145 and kernel calls
> >>     ip_mc_leave_group -> ip_mc_dec_group -> igmp_group_dropped.
> >>     But in function igmp_group_dropped(), the im->reporter is 0, so the kernel does not send the IGMP leave message.
> >
> > RFC 2236 says:
> >
> > 2.  Introduction
> >
> >    The Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) is used by IP hosts to
> >    report their multicast group memberships to any immediately-
> >    neighboring multicast routers.
> >
> > Are Box A or B multicast routers?
> Thank you for your comments.
> Both Box A and B are IP hosts, not multicast routers.
> And the RFC says: IGMP is used by "IP hosts" to report their multicast group membership.

They report their membership to gateways, not to each other. The
gateway will then arrange for multicast traffic for the group from
other subnets to be forwarded to this subnet. You don't need IGMP to
receive local traffic.

Also, this timer is to do with responding to IGMP querier, typically
the multicast gateway. The querier keeps track of if a group is in use
within a subnet. It listens to group joins and optionally leaves. It
also periodically sends out IGMP querier requests, asking who is
interested in what groups. The hosts use a random delay before
answering, and if some other hosts replies about a group they are a
member of, they don't send a response themselves. One is enough.

Read the RFC.

     Andrew