Date:   Wed, 26 Oct 2016 15:45:51 +0200
From:   Dario Ernst <Dario.Ernst@...erbed.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Question: Why only 1 VTI per src/dest-pair allowed

Hi,

I’m currently running into a limitation where I’d like to have multiple
VTI interfaces with the same source / destination address. It seems like
that this is not possible by default.

To elaborate a bit on my use-case: I’m trying to set up multiple tunnels
(SAs) between two endpoints, be it for load-balancing and fail-over, or
for complex routing in software-defined networking scenarios — or simply
multiple different peers behind a NAT. I would like to retain the
flexibility (and debuggability) that having a VTI provides.

I’ve been digging the ip_vti.c and ip_tunnel.c sources a bit — and
please excuse my kernel-illiteracy, I’m a complete kernel-newbie. I’m
creating a 2nd VTI through the IOCTL (as »iproute2« does), with the same
src/dst as an existing VTI, but with a different ikey and okey. The
condition that seems to break and throw -EEXIST is ip_tunnel_key_match.
This checks whether TUNNEL_KEY (0x04) is set, however, from what I’ve
seen only GRE_KEY (0x2000) is set — by vti_tunnel_ioctl. Also, in
iproute2, I’ve not found that TUNNEL_KEY gets set.

So from what I *think* I’ve read it’s deliberate that the check doesn’t
actually compare the keys — and thus forbids creating tunnel devices
with same src/same dst/different key.

Now, my final questions on this is: What is the design decision behind
this? Is there a finer point that I’m missing? And … is it actually
sufficient to modify ip_tunnel_key_match to actually compare the keys,
should they be set?

Thanks for all your great work, and thanks for reading this far :-).
Best Regards,
-Dario Ernst