Date:   Thu, 27 Oct 2016 11:24:04 +0300
From:   Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>
To:     Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
        David Ahern <dsa@...ulusnetworks.com>,
        Andrey Vagin <avagin@...nvz.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next iproute2 1/2] libnetlink: Add test for error code
 returned from netlink reply

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:52:53AM +0300, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> > This looks like a mistake in how you implemented the functionality in the kernel.
> > Despite what it looks like, all netlink request/reply functionality reports
> > errors in current implementation by returning error to the sendmsg request.
> >
> > What you added implies that the new kernel api is wrong, or many other usages
> > are wrong.  Please fix the kernel.
>
> No. This is not my code. This code has been in kernel for the really long time.
> I don't know why you've not been doing such test in libnetlink before.
>
> Actually I've hit this problem accidentaly -- I made a patch 2 from this
> set and run it on the machine where kernel was unpatched, ie without
> raw-diag module, and I found that we can't figure out if kernel notified
> us that some diag module simply not present in the system. And here is
> the only way to find it out.

Also, drop this series for a while, I'll resend new one: the status of
diag should not be tested unconditionally with NLMSG_DONE because the
rtnl_dump_filter_l helper is used not only for diag talks but overall
the iproute2, thus I need to test for status only for specified requests.
And I need to narrow down why not all device bound interfaces are killed
in one pass.

	Cyrill