Date:   Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:19:06 +0000
From:   Joao Pinto <Joao.Pinto@...opsys.com>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>
CC:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Joao Pinto <Joao.Pinto@...opsys.com>,
        Giuseppe CAVALLARO <peppe.cavallaro@...com>,
        <lars.persson@...s.com>, <rabin.vincent@...s.com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, <CARLOS.PALMINHA@...opsys.com>,
        <Jie.Deng1@...opsys.com>
Subject: Re: Synopsys Ethernet QoS

Hi,

Às 1:44 AM de 12/10/2016, Florian Fainelli escreveu:
> Le 12/09/16 à 16:16, Andy Shevchenko a écrit :
>> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:52 AM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's kind of sad that customers of that IP (stmmac, amd-xgbe, sxgbe)
>>
>>> did
>>> actually pioneer the upstreaming effort, but it is good to see people
>>> from Synopsys willing to fix that in the future.
>>
>> Wait, you would like to tell that we have more than 2 drivers for the
>> same (okay, same vendor) IP?!
>> It's better to unify them earlier, than have n+ copies.
>
> Unfortunately that is the case, see this email:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg142796.html
>
> dwc_eth_qos and stmmac have some overlap. There seems to be work
> underway to unify these two to begin with.
>

>> P.S. Though, I don't see how sxgbe got in the list. First glance on
>> the code doesn't show similarities.
>
> Well samsung/sxgbe looks potentially similar to amd/xgbe, but that's
> just my cursory look at the code, it may very well be something entirely
> different. The descriptor formats just look suspiciously similar.

Thank you for your inputs! Renaming seems to be a hotspot. I agree that maybe
instead of renaming (breaking retro-compatibility as David and Florian
mentioned), the best is to move stmmac to synopsys/ after merging *qos* and
removing it. As Florian mentioned, git is capable of detecting folder restructured.

@Rabin Vincent: Hi Rabin. Since Axis is more familiar with the synopsys/*qos*
driver would it be possible for you to make an initial analysis of what has to
be merged into Stmmac? This way the development would speed-up.

Thanks to all.

Joao