Date:   Mon, 12 Dec 2016 16:10:26 +0100
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:     Mike Rapoport <rppt@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>,
        Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@...el.com>,
        "Karlsson, Magnus" <magnus.karlsson@...el.com>,
        Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>,
        Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>,
        Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>,
        Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...mgrid.com>,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
        Kalman Meth <METH@...ibm.com>, brouer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: Designing a safe RX-zero-copy Memory Model for Networking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 16:14:33 +0200
Mike Rapoport <rppt@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 10:40:42AM +0100, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:38:13 +0200 Mike Rapoport <rppt@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> > > Sorry, if this reply is a bit off-topic.
> >
> > It is very much on topic IMHO :-)
> >
> > > I'm working on implementation of RX zero-copy for virtio and I've dedicated
> > > some thought about making guest memory available for physical NIC DMAs.
> > > I believe this is quite related to your page_pool proposal, at least from
> > > the NIC driver perspective, so I'd like to share some thoughts here.
> >
> > Seems quite related. I'm very interested in cooperating with you! I'm
> > not very familiar with virtio, and how packets/pages gets channeled
> > into virtio.
>
> They are copied :-)
> Presuming we are dealing only with vhost backend, the received skb
> eventually gets converted to IOVs, which in turn are copied to the guest
> memory. The IOVs point to the guest memory that is allocated by virtio-net
> running in the guest.

Thanks for explaining that. It seems like a lot of overhead. I have to
wrap my head around this... so, the hardware NIC is receiving the
packet/page, in the RX ring, and after converting it to IOVs, it is
conceptually transmitted into the guest, and then the guest-side have a
RX-function to handle this packet. Correctly understood?

> > > The idea is to dedicate one (or more) of the NIC's queues to a VM, e.g.
> > > using macvtap, and then propagate guest RX memory allocations to the NIC
> > > using something like new .ndo_set_rx_buffers method.
> >
> > I believe the page_pool API/design aligns with this idea/use-case.
> >
> > > What is your view about interface between the page_pool and the NIC
> > > drivers?
> >
> > In my Prove-of-Concept implementation, the NIC driver (mlx5) register
> > a page_pool per RX queue.  This is done for two reasons (1) performance
> > and (2) for supporting use-cases where only one single RX-ring queue is
> > (re)configured to support RX-zero-copy.  There are some associated
> > extra cost of enabling this mode, thus it makes sense to only enable it
> > when needed.
> >
> > I've not decided how this gets enabled, maybe some new driver NDO.  It
> > could also happen when a XDP program gets loaded, which request this
> > feature.
> >
> > The macvtap solution is nice and we should support it, but it requires
> > VM to have their MAC-addr registered on the physical switch.  This
> > design is about adding flexibility. Registering an XDP eBPF filter
> > provides the maximum flexibility for matching the destination VM.
>
> I'm not very familiar with XDP eBPF, and it's difficult for me to estimate
> what needs to be done in BPF program to do proper conversion of skb to the
> virtio descriptors.

XDP is a step _before_ the SKB is allocated.  The XDP eBPF program can
modify the packet-page data, but I don't think it is needed for your
use-case.  View XDP (primarily) as an early (demux) filter.

XDP is missing a feature your need, which is TX packet into another
net_device (I actually imagine a port mapping table, that point to a
net_device).  This require a new "TX-raw" NDO that takes a page (+
offset and length).

I imagine, the virtio driver (virtio_net or a new driver?) getting
extended with this new "TX-raw" NDO, that takes "raw" packet-pages.
 Whether zero-copy is possible is determined by checking if page
originates from a page_pool that have enabled zero-copy (and likely
matching against a "protection domain" id number).

> We were not considered using XDP yet, so we've decided to limit the initial
> implementation to macvtap because we can ensure correspondence between a
> NIC queue and virtual NIC, which is not the case with more generic tap
> device. It could be that use of XDP will allow for a generic solution for
> virtio case as well.

You don't need an XDP filter, if you can make the HW do the early demux
binding into a queue.  The check for if memory is zero-copy enabled
would be the same.

> > > Have you considered using "push" model for setting the NIC's RX memory?
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by a "push" model?
>
> Currently, memory allocation in NIC drivers boils down to alloc_page with
> some wrapping code. I see two possible ways to make NIC use of some
> preallocated pages: either NIC driver will call an API (probably different
> from alloc_page) to obtain that memory, or there will be NDO API that
> allows to set the NIC's RX buffers. I named the later case "push".

As you might have guessed, I'm not into the "push" model, because this
means I cannot share the queue with the normal network stack.  Which I
believe is possible as outlined (in email and [2]) and can be done with
out HW filter features (like macvlan).

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer