Date:   Sun, 15 Jan 2017 02:18:45 +0200
From:   Denys Fedoryshchenko <nuclearcat@...learcat.com>
To:     Florian Westphal <fw@...len.de>
Cc:     Guillaume Nault <g.nault@...halink.fr>,
        Netfilter Devel <netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@...filter.org>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com, netdev-owner@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 4.9 conntrack performance issues

On 2017-01-15 01:53, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Denys Fedoryshchenko <nuclearcat@...learcat.com> wrote:
>
> [ CC Nicolas since he also played with gc heuristics in the past ]
>
>> Sorry if i added someone wrongly to CC, please let me know, if i
>> should
>> remove.
>> I just run successfully 4.9 on my nat several days ago, and seems
>> panic
>> issue disappeared. But i started to face another issue, it seems
>> garbage
>> collector is hogging one of CPU's.
>>
>> It was handling load very well at 4.8 and below, it might be still
>> fine, but
>> i suspect queues that belong to hogged cpu might experience issues.
>
> The worker doesn't grab locks for long and calls scheduler for every
> bucket to give a chance for other threads to run.
>
> It also doesn't block softinterrupts.
>
>> Is there anything can be done to improve cpu load distribution or
>> reduce
>> single core load?
>
> No, I am afraid we don't export any of the heuristics as tuneables so
> far.
>
> You could try changing defaults in net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_core.c:
>
> #define GC_MAX_BUCKETS_DIV      64u
> /* upper bound of scan intervals */
> #define GC_INTERVAL_MAX         (2 * HZ)
> /* maximum conntracks to evict per gc run */
> #define GC_MAX_EVICTS           256u
>
> (the first two result in ~2 minute worst case timeout detection
>  on a fully idle system).
>
> For instance you could use
>
> GC_MAX_BUCKETS_DIV -> 128
> GC_INTERVAL_MAX    -> 30 * HZ
>
> (This means that it takes one hour for a dead connection to be picked
>  up on an idle system, but thats only relevant in case you use
>  conntrack events to log when connection went down and need more
> precise
>  accounting).
Not a big deal in my case.

> I suspect you might also have to change
>
> 1011         } else if (expired_count) {
> 1012                 gc_work->next_gc_run /= 2U;
> 1013                 next_run = msecs_to_jiffies(1);
> 1014         } else {
>
> line 2013 to
> 	next_run = msecs_to_jiffies(HZ / 2);
>
> or something like this to not have frequent rescans.
OK

> The gc is also done from the packet path (i.e. accounted
> towards (k)softirq).
>
> How many total connections is the machine handling on average?
> And how many new/delete events happen per second?
1-2 million connections, at current moment 988k
I dont know if it is correct method to measure events rate:

NAT ~ # timeout -t 5 conntrack -E -e NEW | wc -l
conntrack v1.4.2 (conntrack-tools): 40027 flow events have been shown.
40027
NAT ~ # timeout -t 5 conntrack -E -e DESTROY | wc -l
conntrack v1.4.2 (conntrack-tools): 40951 flow events have been shown.
40951

It is not peak time, so values can be 2-3 higher at peak time, but even
right now, it is hogging one core, leaving only 20% idle left,
while others are 80-83% idle.

>>     88.98%     0.00%  kworker/24:1  [kernel.kallsyms]       [k]
>> process_one_work
>>             ---process_one_work
>>                |--54.65%--gc_worker
>>                |          |
>>                |           --3.58%--nf_ct_gc_expired
>>                |                     |
>>                |                     |--1.90%--nf_ct_delete
>
> I'd be interested to see how often that shows up on other cores
> (from packet path).
Other CPU's totally different:
This is top entry
     99.60%     0.00%  swapper  [kernel.kallsyms]    [k] start_secondary

             ---start_secondary

                 --99.42%--cpu_startup_entry

                            --98.04%--default_idle_call
                                      arch_cpu_idle

|--48.58%--call_function_single_interrupt
                                      |          |

--46.36%--smp_call_function_single_interrupt

smp_trace_call_function_single_interrupt
                                      |                     |

|--44.18%--irq_exit
                                      |                     |          |
                                      |                     |
|--43.37%--__do_softirq
                                      |                     |          |

                                      |                     |          |
          --43.18%--net_rx_action

                    |--36.02%--process_backlog
                    |           --35.64%--__netif_receive_skb

gc_worker didnt appeared on other core at all.
Or i am checking something wrong?