Date:   Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:20:18 +0200
From:   Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>
To:     Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>
Cc:     Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@....mellanox.co.il>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [pull request][for-next] Mellanox mlx5 Reorganize core driver
 directory layout

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 09:37:20AM -0800, Tom Herbert wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Saeed Mahameed
> <saeedm@....mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> >> Recently I had to backport the mlx5 driver from 4.9 to 4.6 in order to
> >> get support for XDP. The biggest issue I faced was the lack of
> >> modularity in the many driver features that are now supported. The
> >> problem with backporting these new features is the spider web of
> >> dependencies that they bring in from the rest of the kernel. I ended
> >> up taking out en_rep, vxlan, en_tc, eswitch, and dcbnl. The result was
> >> ~340 patches which is still a lot but at least this was constrained to
> >> patches in the mlx5 directories and are relevant to what we want to
> >> do.

We had that complexity in mind. This pull request is our initial step
to simplify backporters' work (e.g. rename of en_XXX.c to be XXX.c is
the same as en/XXX.c for the backports).

We are aware of IB backports which required EN part of driver which
had all net dependencies mentioned above and IMHO it is wrong.

Our plan is:
1. Reorg/rename files.
2. Separate en and IB from shared code, to allow parallel work.
3. Reduce en and IB dependencies, to simplify backporting.

It is really awkward to move to item 2 and 3 before we cleaned the desk.
That rename patch provided to all backporters an easy way to bring new
features into the driver.

> >> In lieu of restructuring the directories, I would much rather see more
> >> config options so that we can build drivers that don't unnecessarily
> >> complicate our lives with features we don't use. This is not just true
> >> for Mellanox, but I would say it would be true of any driver that
> >> someone is trying to deploy and maintain at large scale.

Different maintainers have a different view on the subject and not everyone
is ready to accept new drivers config options.

> > I think we should have both, if the restructuring made right,
> > new whole features (e.g eswitch and eswitch offlaods or any independent module),
> > can sit in their own directory and keep their own logic concentrated
> > in one place, and only touch the
> > main driver code with simple entry points in the main flow,  this way
> > you can simply compile their whole directories
> > out with a config flag directly from the Makefile.
> >
> That would be nice, but that is not what your new layout gives us yet.
> The starting point for this structure should be to discern what the
> minimum set of files is to build a functional and good performance
> driver with the basic functionality including only the most common
> offloads. These I would think constitute the core files for the driver
> and hence make sense to be in the "core" directory. Personally I would
> drop the en_ file prefix and not make an en directory, we're already
> in the ethernet driver part of the tree so I don't know what this name
> is supposed to convey. For reference I gave you this list of
> components I disabled to do the backport, some we're not split out in
> your directory layout. A good example is the VXLAN offload support,
> the changes in that area we're mostly due to Alexander's patch set to
> redo the interface for these accelerations-- so to back port driver
> from 4.9 to 4.6 I would need to pull those in and whatever else those
> depend on. It was way easier to just ifdef out the relevant calls and
> not compile the vxlan files to do the backport.

We would love to move into that direction, but right now that core
directory serves our IB driver too. Once we separate them, your proposal
will be possible to implement.