Date:   Thu, 19 Jan 2017 08:04:27 +0200
From:   Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>
To:     Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>
Cc:     Ariel Almog <arielalmogworkemails@...il.com>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] RESEND - rdmatool - tool for RDMA users

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 07:50:26PM +0200, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 06:48:21PM +0200, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Ariel Almog
> >> <arielalmogworkemails@...il.com> wrote:
>
> >> What's wrong with the RDMA netlink infrastructure?! it's there for
> >> years and used
> >> for various cases by MLNX, did you look on the code?
>
> > Nothing wrong, it is one of the valuable options and will be used if
> > community decides to put this tool under iproute2/ethtool umbrella.
>
> yeah, using netlink sounds good to me, and where you package/maintain
> the tool is of 2nd order, 1st decide what UAPI you wonna use. So far
> netlink was good for what bunch of use-cases needed.

Or,
This tool is for users and they don't care how it is implemented
underneath. We want to provide to our users similar experience as they
have already with other tools and package/maintainability is important
for them more than kernel UAPI.

Ariel came with a small set of initial functionalities, but it doesn't
say we should limit ourselves.