Date:   Mon, 20 Feb 2017 08:18:15 -0500
From:   Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
To:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:     netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org, netfilter@...r.kernel.org,
        info@...devconf.org, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
        tech-committee@...devconf.org, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Stephen Jaworski <jaws@...atatu.com>, lwn@....net,
        people@...devconf.org, Brenda Butler <bjb@...atatu.com>
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Netdev 2.1 update Feb 20

A few announcements:
-Registration is open. Register early so we can plan better.
https://onlineregistrations.ca/netdev21/

hotel (If you can get the hotel cheaper online than conference
rates please send us email, dont book ):
http://www.netdevconf.org/2.1/hotel.html

- We are pleased to announce our first Gold sponsor! We welcome back
Redhat as sponsors and thank them for their commitment to the netdev
community!

- We are pleased to announce our first Platinum sponsor: Cumulus
Networks. Cumulus has always been there for the netdev Community from
our very first conference.  Thank you Cumulus!

- Our hard working tech committee has accepted another proposal. This
time veteran netdever Stephen Hemminger digs into the semantics of
names. Names have consequences he says.

Title: What's in a name?
---
Network device names have existed from the earliest days of Unix
networking and their usage has evolved. This talk is a look at some of
the issues with network device names. kernel developers often think the
problem is a userspace issue and nothing can be done but the names are
a key part of the existing ABI.

In the talk, I will cover how the choice of naming policy interacts
with applications and cloud environments, what current expectations
are, and how this interacts with cloud infrastructure. There is no
solution but there are several things that can be done to improve
the user experience. Will also give examples including Amazon, Azure,
Google Compute as well as other non-Linux environments.
-----

Please note that The Call for Proposals is still open, submit early
to avoid the hazards of last minute traffic. Refer to:
http://netdevconf.org/2.1/submit-proposal.html

cheers,
jamal