Date:   Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:02:19 +0100
From:   James Hughes <james.hughes@...pberrypi.org>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Use of skb_unclone in drivers

Netdevs,

We have recently got to the bottom of an issue which we have been
encountering on a Raspberry Pi being used as an access point, and we
need a bit of advice on the correct way of fixing the issue.

The set up is a Raspberry Pi 3 running hostapd on its inbuilt wireless
adaptor (Brcm43438 ), bridged to the built in ethernet adaptor
(smsc9514). Using the standard drivers for these devices as of 4.9
(looking at 4.11, no changes noted that would affect the issue. I will
be trying the latest kernel once I get back in to the office).

We were encountering an error in the Brcm Wireless driver that after
investigation was a skb_buff being corrupted by an action in the smsc
Ethernet driver. Further digging shows that the bridge was cloning an
incoming skb from the Ethernet, then sending it out to both the
Ethernet and wlan ports. This mean that both the Ethernet driver and
the wireless driver were looking at the same physical data, and one or
both were altering that data in different ways (varied headers) ,
which mean that headers were corrupted. This was only happening on
broadcast packets.

We can fix the issue by, in the drivers, using skb_unclone in
appropriate places in the driver.

So now to the questions. Is adding the unclone to the drivers the
correct way of dealing with this issue? Examining other drivers shows
that unclone is not particularly common, presumably in many cases,
where the driver does not alter the skb, it doesn't matter. However,
in any case where a driver may add header information to the skb (as
is the case with the Brcm wireless driver), when the incoming skb has
been cloned, the results must surely be undetermined unless an unclone
is performed.

Or, is the bridging code making a mistake by cloning the skb and
passing it to multiple recipients?

Thanks

James Hughes
Raspberry Pi