Date:   Tue, 18 Apr 2017 17:43:44 +0100
From:   James Hughes <james.hughes@...pberrypi.org>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Use of skb_unclone in drivers

On 18 April 2017 at 17:34, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
> On 04/18/2017 01:34 AM, James Hughes wrote:
>> Thanks,
>
> (please don't top-post on netdev)

Trying not to! New to this.

>> Quick check on that function - very similar to unclone which we know
>> ameliorates the issue, just has the headroom parameter rather than
>> priority. So clearly the right way to go. Just one more question I
>> hope - where is the appropriate  place for the skb_cow_head call in
>> the driver - at the main entry point, or closer or in the function(s)
>> that may alter the header itself?
>
> You should place the call to skb_cow_head() in the same function(s) that
> do(es) the header(s) modifications, that way it's clear to the reader
> what the intent is, and the code is reasonably easy to audit.

OK, thanks - have done that and posted a patch for the SMSC driver which
others are reviewing. Still trying to sort out the Brcm wireless driver which
is lacking any sane error path should the skb_cow_head function fail in
the same function where the header modification is made.

--
James Hughes
Principal Software Engineer,