Date:   Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:09:28 +0000
From:   "Mintz, Yuval" <Yuval.Mintz@...ium.com>
To:     Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
        Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        Mitch Williams <mitch.a.williams@...el.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:     Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
        "sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
        "jogreene@...hat.com" <jogreene@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next 04/14] i40e: dump VF information in debugfs

> > Dump some internal state about VFs through debugfs. This provides
> > information not available with 'ip link show'.
>
> such as?
>
> donnwantobethedebugfspolice, but still, in the 2-3 times we tried to push
> debugfs to MLNX NIC drivers, Dave disallowed that, and lately the switch
> team even went further and deleted that portion of the mlxsw driver -- all to
> all,  I don't see much point for these type of changes, thoughts?

Don't want to hikjack your thread, but continuing this topic -
Is there some flat-out disapproval for debugfs in net-next now?

We're currently internally engaged with adding qed support for register dumps
[~equivalents for `ethtool -d' outputs] through debugfs, on behalf of storage
drivers [qedi/qedf] lacking the API for doing that.