Date:   Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:06:13 -0700
From:   John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Andy Gospodarek <andy@...yhouse.net>
Cc:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Daniel Borkmann <borkmann@...earbox.net>,
        "xdp-newbies@...r.kernel.org" <xdp-newbies@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: xdp_redirect ifindex vs port. Was: best API for returning/setting
 egress port?

On 17-04-27 04:31 PM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On 4/27/17 1:41 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
>> When registering/attaching a XDP/bpf program, we would just send the
>> file-descriptor for this port-map along (like we do with the bpf_prog
>> FD). Plus, it own ingress-port number this program is in the port-map.
>>
>> It is not clear to me, in-which-data-structure on the kernel-side we
>> store this reference to the port-map and ingress-port. As today we only
>> have the "raw" struct bpf_prog pointer. I see several options:
>>
>> 1. Create a new xdp_prog struct that contains existing bpf_prog,
>> a port-map pointer and ingress-port. (IMHO easiest solution)
>>
>> 2. Just create a new pointer to port-map and store it in driver rx-ring
>> struct (like existing bpf_prog), but this create a race-challenge
>> replacing (cmpxchg) the program (or perhaps it's not a problem as it
>> runs under rcu and RTNL-lock).
>>
>> 3. Extend bpf_prog to store this port-map and ingress-port, and have a
>> fast-way to access it.  I assume it will be accessible via
>> bpf_prog->bpf_prog_aux->used_maps[X] but it will be too slow for XDP.
>
> I'm not sure I completely follow the 3 proposals.
> Are you suggesting to have only one netdev_array per program?
> Why not to allow any number like we do for tailcall+prog_array, etc?
> We can teach verifier to allow new helper
> bpf_tx_port(netdev_array, port_num);
> to only be used with netdev_array map type.
> It will fetch netdevice pointer from netdev_array[port_num]
> and will tx the packet into it.
> We can make it similar to bpf_tail_call(), so that program will
> finish on successful bpf_tx_port() or
> make it into 'delayed' tx which will be executed when program finishes.
> Not sure which approach is better.

My reaction would be to make it finish on success but would like to write
a few programs first and see. I can't think of any use _not_ to terminate
but maybe there is something I'm missing.

> We can also extend this netdev_array into broadcast/multicast. Like
> bpf_tx_allports(&netdev_array);
> call from the program will xmit the packet to all netdevices
> in that 'netdev_array' map type.

Yep nice solution to the multicast problem.

> The map-in-map support can be trivially extended to allow netdev_array,
> then the program can create N multicast groups of netdevices.
> Each multicast group == one netdev_array map.
> The user space will populate a hashmap with these netdev_arrays and
> bpf kernel side can select dynamically which multicast group to use
> to send the packets to.
> bpf kernel side may look like:
> struct bpf_netdev_array *netdev_array = bpf_map_lookup_elem(&hash, key);
> if (!netdev_array)
> if (my_condition)
>    bpf_tx_allports(netdev_array);  /* broadcast to all netdevices */
> else
>    bpf_tx_port(netdev_array, port_num); /* tx into one netdevice */
>
> that's an artificial example. Just trying to point out
> that we shouldn't restrict the feature too soon.

That is more or less what I was thinking as well. The other question
I have though is should we have a bpf_redirect() call for the simple
case where I use the ifindex directly. This will be helpful for taking
existing programs from tc_cls into xdp. I think it makes sense to have
both bpf_tx_allports(), bpf_tx_port(), and bpf_redirect().

.John