Date:   Tue, 16 May 2017 12:50:56 +0200
From:   Rafa Corvillo <rafael.corvillo@...fes.com>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ISSUE: sky2 - rx error] Link stops working under heavy traffic
 load connected to a mv88e6176

On 08/05/17 14:38, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> static unsigned sky2_get_rx_threshold(struct sky2_port *sky2)
>>> {
>>>          unsigned size;
>>>
>>>          /* Space needed for frame data + headers rounded up */
>>>          size = roundup(sky2->netdev->mtu + ETH_HLEN + VLAN_HLEN, 8);
>>>
>>>          /* Stopping point for hardware truncation */
>>>          return (size - 8) / sizeof(u32);
>>> }
>>>
>>> This is not going to be big enough for a frame with a DSA header.
>>>

>> Then, would be a good fix add 8 bytes to the size variable in this function?
>
> Yes. Also look at the transmit code, is there again a limit based on
> the MTU.

Hi Andrew,

Adding 8 bytes (sky2->netdev->mtu + ETH_HLEN + VLAN_HLEN + 8
(EDSA_HLEN)) does not fix the error, because the interface keep having a
maximum length of 1518 bytes (sky2->netdev->mtu + ETH_HLEN + VLAN_HLEN).

The polling function of sky2 driver (sky2_poll) calls to the function
sky2_status_intr (with the parameter struct sky2_hw *hw). The
sky2_status_intr function gets the status of the list elements (struct
sky2_status_le) from the sky2_hw parameter and, from the sky2_status_le,
gets the maximum length (1518) and the status code (0x5f20010). When the
latter function (sky2_status_intr) calls to the sky2_receive function
with the parameters length and status, it reports about the error (rx
error, status 0x5f20010
length 1518).

I don't know who sets the maximum length (1518) and the status code
(0x5f20010) of the packets. Is it possible that these values to be set
outside the sky2 code?

Thanks,

Rafa