Date:   Thu, 25 May 2017 16:48:22 -0400
From:   Jes Sorensen <jsorensen@...com>
To:     Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@....mellanox.co.il>,
        Ilan Tayari <ilant@...lanox.com>
CC:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [for-next 4/6] net/mlx5: FPGA, Add basic support for Innova

On 05/25/2017 06:40 AM, Saeed Mahameed wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Ilan Tayari <ilant@...lanox.com> wrote:

If I get this right, the FPGA is independent and could in theory be used
for non network stuff. It really should have it's own driver in that
case, and you should provide accessor functionality via the mlx5 driver.

We have this with other devices in the kernel where a primary device
driver provides an interface for an additional sub-driver to access
another device behind it. Like bt-coexist in some of the wifi drivers
allowing access to a bluetooth device behind it.

Jes