Date:   Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:35:42 +0200
From:   Jean-Philippe Menil <jpmenil@...il.com>
To:     Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>,
        Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
Cc:     "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        qemu-devel Developers <qemu-devel@...gnu.org>
Subject: Re: BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in free_old_xmit_skbs

On 06/26/2017 04:50 AM, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2017年06月24日 06:32, Cong Wang wrote:

>>> Hi Jean:
>>>
>>> Does the following fix this issue? (I can't reproduce it locally through
>>> xdp_ttl)
>> It is tricky here.
>>
>>  From my understanding of the code base, the tx_lock is not sufficient
>> here, because in virtnet_del_vqs() all vqs are deleted and one vp
>> maps to one txq.
>>
>> I am afraid you have to add a spinlock somewhere to serialized
>> free_old_xmit_skbs() vs. vring_del_virtqueue(). As you can see
>> they are in different layers, so it is hard to figure out where to add
>> it...
>>
>> Also, make sure we don't sleep inside the spinlock, I see a
>> synchronize_net().
>
> Looks like I miss something. I thought free_old_xmit_skbs() were
> serialized in this case since we disable all tx queues after
> netif_tx_unlock_bh()?
>
> Jean:
>
> I thought this could be easily reproduced by e.g produce some traffic
> and in the same time try to attach an xdp program. But looks not. How do
> you trigger this? What's your qemu command line for this?
>
> Thanks

Hi Jason,

this is how i trigger the bug:
- on the guest, tcpdump on on the interface
- on the guest, run iperf against the host
- on the guest, cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_pipe
- on the guest, run one or two instances of xdp_ttl compiled with DEBUG
uncommented, that i start stop, until i trigger the bug.

qemu command line is as follow:

qemu-system-x86_64 -name ubuntu --enable-kvm -machine pc,accel=kvm -smp
2 -drive file=/dev/LocalDisk/ubuntu,if=virtio,format=raw -m 2048 -rtc
base=localtime,clock=host -usbdevice tablet --balloon virtio -netdev
tap,id=ubuntu-0,ifname=ubuntu-0,script=/home/jenfi/WORK/jp/qemu/if-up,downscript=/home/jenfi/WORK/jp/qemu/if-down,vhost=on,queues=4
-device
virtio-net-pci,netdev=ubuntu-0,mac=de:ad:be:ef:01:03,mq=on,guest_tso4=off,guest_tso6=off,guest_ecn=off,guest_ufo=off,vectors=2
-vnc 127.0.0.1:3 -nographic -serial
file:/home/jenfi/WORK/jp/qemu/ubuntu.out -monitor
unix:/home/jenfi/WORK/jp/qemu/ubuntu.sock,server,nowait

Notice, the smp 2, queues to 4 and vectors to 2.
Seem that if fogot to mention that in the beginning of this thread,
sorry for that.

Best regards.

Jean-Philippe