Date:   Fri, 30 Jun 2017 04:18:17 +0200
From:   Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
To:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-rt-users@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel (master) build failure w. !CONFIG_NET_RX_BUSY_POLL

On Thu, 2017-06-29 at 15:35 -0400, David Miller wrote:
> From: Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 10:01:00 +0200
>
> > Greetings network wizards,
> >
> > The latest RT explicitly disables CONFIG_NET_RX_BUSY_POLL, thus
> > uncovering $subject.  Below is what I did about it.
> >
> >       -Mike
> >
> > net: Move napi_hash_add/del() inside CONFIG_NET_RX_BUSY_POLL
> >
> > Since 545cd5e5ec54 ("net: Busy polling should ignore sender CPUs"),
> > kernel build fails when CONFIG_NET_RX_BUSY_POLL is disabled.  Move
> > napi_hash_add/del() accordingly.
> >
> > Banged-upon-by: Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
>
> First, this is in no way a standard signoff or ack tag.

It's not intended to be, it's intended to stress that this in not a
submission, it's a local fix for a problem that network folks will
likely fix up differently... but who knows, showing what I did about it
after taking a look could perhaps save a wee bit of labor, so...

Hohum, so much for good intentions.  I though I was clearly showing
that separation of the polling business was not as complete as other
changes led me to believe it is intended to be.

> Second, you must provide the complete set of build failure details
> so that anyone just reading your posting can understand and fully
> review your patch without having to go anywhere else for the
> pertinent information.

Here's the naked failure instead.

  CC      net/core/dev.o
net/core/dev.c: In function ‘napi_hash_add’:
net/core/dev.c:5315:43: error: ‘MIN_NAPI_ID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
   if (unlikely(++napi_gen_id < MIN_NAPI_ID))
                                           ^
net/core/dev.c:5315:43: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
scripts/Makefile.build:302: recipe for target 'net/core/dev.o' failed
make[1]: *** [net/core/dev.o] Error 1
Makefile:1663: recipe for target 'net/core/dev.o' failed
make: *** [net/core/dev.o] Error 2

	-Mike