Date:   Tue, 29 Aug 2017 07:02:01 -0500
From:   Adam Ford <aford173@...il.com>
To:     Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@...com>
Cc:     Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>,
        Grygorii Strashko <grygorii.strashko@...com>,
        linux-omap@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: DA850-evm MAC Address is random

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 6:42 AM, Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@...com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2017 03:53 PM, Adam Ford wrote:

>>> This code is present in U-Boot sources at
>>> board/davinci/da8xxevm/da850evm.c. See the function get_mac_addr() and
>>> its usage in misc_init_r().

>>> Yes, it is fdt_fixup_ethernet() and its usage is in common/image-fdt.c.

>>> That's exactly what was missing. I have sent a patch for fixing that and
>>> copied you there.
>>
>> Thanks for doing that.
>>

>>> Adam, if I can get your Tested-by, I will make an attempt to send it for
>>> v4.13 itself.
>>
>> I will test it.  Do need to run some instruction or do something
>> special in U-Boot to pass this in the proper place for the kernel to
>> pull it?  Tony's patch reference showed
>> command for fdt set, but I am not sure I fully understand the
>> parameters that went along with that.
>
> Nope, just applying the patch and booting the with the new dtb should
> result in the random mac address going away.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing any change with the patch (at least
with Kernel 4.12.9 from stable).

netconsole: network logging started
davinci_emac davinci_emac.1: incompatible machine/device type for
reading mac address
davinci_emac davinci_emac.1: using random MAC addr: ee:74:c3:3a:15:be

Looking at the source for cpsw-common.c function ti_cm_get_macid()
doesn't have a case for the  ti,davinci-dm6467-emac so I wonder if
there might be more to it.

adam