Date:   Fri, 15 Sep 2017 16:32:45 -0600
From:   Shuah Khan <shuahkh@....samsung.com>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc:     Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Thomas Meyer <thomas@...3r.de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org,
        Networking <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Shuah Khan <shuahkh@....samsung.com>
Subject: Re: selftests/bpf doesn't compile

On 09/15/2017 12:14 PM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what was the motivation to exclude hotplug from default testing,
>>
>> These are considered a bit more disruptive and were excluded a while
>> back. These take cpus and memory on and off-line. Also require
>> root access. So even if they are included in the regular run, these
>> won't run.
>
> most of bpf tests require root access as well.
>
>> The first failure due to clang dependency is not a problem. The second one
>> in the case of "make kselftest" is the one that requires some work when bpf
>> make is run from the main Makefile. A lots of users run tests using the
>> kselftest target from the mail Makefile. hence I would like to get this
>> working, so it would be easier to run this test on test servers.
>
> 'make kselftest' doesn't work for me at all, since I suspect it
> assumes in-source build. I always use KBUILD_OUTPUT,
> since I build multiple archs with different configs out of the same
> source tree, so there is a bigger problem here.

Right. I think you probably use

make KBUILD_OUTPUT=dir -C tools/testing/selftests/bpf

> $ make kselftest
> make[1]: Entering directory `/data/users/ast/net-next/bld_x64'
> make: Entering an unknown directory
> make: *** tools/testing/selftests: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> make: Leaving an unknown directory
> make[1]: *** [kselftest] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/users/ast/net-next/bld_x64'
> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

Right. There is patch set out to fix this problem which I sent out couple
of days ago. It is probably the case that bpf Makefile might need changes
to build when it is built from the sleftests/Makefile or the main Makefile.

thanks,
-- Shuah