Date:   Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:31:32 +0200
From:   Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
To:     Shuah Khan <shuahkh@....samsung.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Edward Cree <ecree@...arflare.com>
CC:     Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org>, Thomas Meyer <thomas@...3r.de>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org,
        Networking <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: selftests/bpf doesn't compile

On 09/16/2017 12:41 AM, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 09/15/2017 12:48 PM, Daniel Borkmann wrote:

>>> +1

>>> +1
>>
>> Btw, on that note, the folks from zero-day bot run the BPF kselftests
>> for a while now just fine and they do run them together with clang,
>> so they have the full, proper coverage how it should be. It's not
>> how it used to be in the early days, you can just go and install
>> llvm/clang package on all the major distros today and you get the
>> bpf target by default enabled already.

>>> I fully agree that for the BPF selftests it is very desirable
>>> to not only test the verifier with couple of BPF insn snippets,
>>> but to actually load and run programs that more closely resemble
>>> real world programs. For more complex interactions these snippets
>>> are just limited, think of tail calls, testing perf event output
>>> helper, etc, which would all require to write these tests with
>>> restricted C when we add them (unless we want to make writing
>>> these tests a real pain ;) in which case no-one will bother to
>>> write tests at all for them). Mid to long term I would definitely
>>> like to see more programs in BPF selftests (e.g. moved over from
>>> samples/bpf/) to increase the test coverage.
>
> As I said in my earlier email:
>
> Unless users choose to install clang, bpf will always fail run without
> clang. So clang dependency is an issue for bpf test coverage in general.
> That is your choice as to whether you want to increase the scope of
> regression test coverage for bpf or not.
>
> I fully understand you have weigh that against ease of writing tests.
>
> We can leave things the way they are since:
>
> - You can't force users to install clang and run bpf test. Users might
>    opt for letting bpf test fail due to unmet dependency.
>
> - You have reasons to continue use clang and you have been using it for
>    a longtime.

I'm definitely for leaving it as it currently is and having clang as
hard dependency; there will be more BPF selftests over time that will
require to compile BPF progs (through clang's BPF backend) written in
restricted C, so just skipping these tests would give a false sense
of coverage. clang is pretty much needed anyway for writing more complex
programs, thus leaving requirements the way they are is the much better
option.

> I will try to see why make ksefltest fails on bpf even with my patch
> series that addresses the source directory issue. All other tests build
> and run. It is not an issue with bpf specifically, it is something that
> has never been tested in this use-case.

Great, thanks!