Date:   Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:41:07 -0400
From:   Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
To:     Anton Ivanov <anton.ivanov@...bridgegreys.com>
Cc:     Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: BUG:af_packet fails to TX TSO frames

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Anton Ivanov
<anton.ivanov@...bridgegreys.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/17 18:25, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Willem de Bruijn
>> <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com> wrote:

>>> There is no such requirement that the socket should bind to ETH_P_ALL.
>

> There is no requirement to bind to ETH_P_IP either and most code examples
> going back more than 10 years to the days of TCP Illustrated use ALL.

For send only sockets, it is often advised to pass 0 as protocol to
socket(), so as to avoid having to spend cycles on packet reception
at all.

Commit c72219b75fde ("packet: infer protocol from ethernet header
if unset") explicitly added logic to infer skb->protocol for this common
case of sockets, if using rings.

> I just did the v6 test - if you bind with ETH_P_IP GSO on TCPv6 is broken
> and returns NOBUF and vice versa.

Given that skb->protocol is set from proto, that is indeed not expected to work.

>>> packet_snd sets skb->protocol based on the protocol that the packet
>>> socket is bound to. Binding to ETH_P_IP is the right choice here.
>>
>> To avoid having to open multiple sockets for different protocols,
>> sockaddr_ll can also be passed in the msg_name argument on
>> each call.
>

> Does not work for vnet headers - it honors what you bound with. I tried to
> bind with ETH_ALL and pass ETH_P_IP as an arg and it ENOBUF-ed

Odd. The code for looking up proto in packet_snd looks fairly straightforward:

        /*
         *      Get and verify the address.
         */

        if (likely(saddr == NULL)) {
                dev     = packet_cached_dev_get(po);
                proto   = po->num;
                addr    = NULL;
        } else {
                err = -EINVAL;
                if (msg->msg_namelen < sizeof(struct sockaddr_ll))
                        goto out;
                if (msg->msg_namelen < (saddr->sll_halen +
offsetof(struct sockaddr_ll, sll_addr)))
                        goto out;
                proto   = saddr->sll_protocol;
                addr    = saddr->sll_addr;
                dev = dev_get_by_index(sock_net(sk), saddr->sll_ifindex);
        }

followed later by

        skb->protocol = proto;
        skb->dev = dev;